Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tool to "import" WiFi key from SD/USB

Posted by smoere 
Tool to "import" WiFi key from SD/USB
June 16, 2010 07:20PM
Greetings.

In advance: I don't have a Wii yet, as the following problem is somewhat keeping me from buying one.

I'm looking for a way to set a WiFi key from a text file on SD/USB, as I'm borderline paranoid (i change my 63 ASCII PSK once a month) and a lazy bum (although the kind that invests a lot of time to save a little).

I already did some (albeit way to superficial) research on the matter, which gives me the impression that this should be possible (at least if changing /shared2/sys/net/02/config.dat ain't that much different from what AnyRegion Changer does).

But before i delve any deeper into this topic I wanted to ask if someone already has written a tool to do it.
Re: Tool to "import" WiFi key from SD/USB
June 16, 2010 08:34PM
I'm pretty sure no one has done it yet, but I guess it should be theoretically possible.
June 18, 2010 06:30AM
thanks for your reply.

as it seems I'll have to write it myself then, I'll have to pester you with a few more or less stupid questions:

1) is there no equivalent to fputc() on the Wii?
2) how safe is ISFS_Write() in regard to brickability? for example what happens if there's a power loss?
3) has anyone already tested if garbled net settings will brick the Wii?
4) is there any risk of bricking when only reading?

and finaly (at least for now ;)):

5) would someone be bored/nice/crazy enough to review or even test my code? i've opened a google code project (http://code.google.com/p/wifi-kii/).
for now it will only try to read the config and output the Wiis IPs of config set one and two (although i have a feeling that it will fail due to wrong padding).
June 18, 2010 12:52PM
Really, this is completely pointless as the Wii stores your wifi key in an encrypted state. After you enter the key into your Wii, no one can view it just by going through your settings. In fact, it's safer to be stored in your Wii than it is to be stored in plaintext on your SD Card where anyone can read it by putting your SD Card into a computer.
June 18, 2010 01:48PM
It seems i haven't made my self completely clear:

I change my wifi key regularly, at least once per month (and yes, I'm aware that that isn't really necessary, but as stated in my initial post I'm kinda paranoid).

On my "regular" (as in "running an OS I'm used to") boxes i do this by copy and paste, using a USB stick as a transportation medium.

And that's exactly what I want to to with the Wii I'm gonna buy as soon as I've figured out if this will work (because I don't think fiddling the 63 ASCIIs or 64 hex values in with the remote would be much fun. heck, even if the configmenu should support a decent keyboard it would still be a pain in the ass.) :
put the thumbdrive containing the new key in, launch an app, and presto: the new key is set.

oh and btw: am I right in assuming that "/shared2/sys/net/02/config.dat" is not copyrighted, as it's just a config file?
June 18, 2010 02:45PM
Arikado is saying that if someone were to get hold of the plain text file on your USB stick, they would be able to access your WiFi, which doesn't seem like something someone as paranoid as you're self would like.
June 18, 2010 03:35PM
Correct. But said USB stick never leaves my home, just like any other device that got the key stored never does.

And I interpreted Arikado's post in a manner of "you don't have to store your key on an external medium, it's better of in the Wii", for which I'm sorry.

All I really want to be able to do is to get a WPA2 key into a Wii with as few user interactions as possible.
June 20, 2010 03:05PM
Couldn't you save yourself a lot of time and effort by simply locking your router down to accept only specific MAC addresses... I doubt anybody is trying to hack your Wifi anyway and if they were, would they really go to the lengths of trying to spoof MAC addresses?

Take the tin-foil hat off, constantly changing your Wifi key in this way isn't healthy :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login