Posted by dashxdr 
Blender On WiiBrew?
October 12, 2010 04:20PM
Has any project started to port blender

[en.wikipedia.org]

to the Wii?
Re: Blender On WiiBrew?
October 12, 2010 08:00PM
No. There's no point IMO. Serious modellers won't want to use a Wii to model, they'll want the comfort of a mouse and keyboard with numerous shortcuts. And the Wii probably isn't powerful enough anyway. If you really want to model with the Wii Remote, buy a bluetooth adapter for your computer and look into GlovePIE
October 12, 2010 10:30PM
SifJar
No. There's no point IMO. Serious modellers won't want to use a Wii to model,

What if the person wants to model but doesn't have a PC?

I hate to say it but your comment sounds a bit snobbish.

I'd think one of the benefits of the Wii and WiiBrew is as an enabling technology.
October 12, 2010 10:40PM
If you feel that way then do it yourself. I agree with SifJar that if someone's going to model they should use a PC. The Wii is not powerful enough for that kind of thing.
October 12, 2010 10:55PM
bg4545
If you feel that way then do it yourself. I agree with SifJar that if someone's going to model they should use a PC. The Wii is not powerful enough for that kind of thing.

Do you know, if you read carefully you'll see I was merely asking if someone had already done it, not asking for someone to do it. And SifJar was the one that moved the original post to this particular "requests or ideas" area.

I'm wondering if participation in these forums requires that people be obnoxious? Because it really seems awfully common...

And BTW the blender code has very low system requirements. If you're just doing simple models the Wii would handle it perfectly well.
October 12, 2010 11:12PM
dashxdr
bg4545

Do you know, if you read carefully you'll see I was merely asking if someone had already done it, not asking for someone to do it. And SifJar was the one that moved the original post to this particular "requests or ideas" area.

I'm wondering if participation in these forums requires that people be obnoxious? Because it really seems awfully common...

And BTW the blender code has very low system requirements. If you're just doing simple models the Wii would handle it perfectly well.

Get your facts right, I did NOT move the topic, I assume bg4545 did.

EDIT: The recommended specs of Blender are a 2GHz processor and 2GB of RAM. It would only work to a very limited degree on the Wii. Also, considering the program is written for PC, it would require virtually an ENTIRE rewrite for Wii. (AFAIK, its not really like games where you just need to port the engine really). It would be a lot of work.

Also, if someone doesn't have a PC, what are they gonna use the models they make for? The main uses I can think of for models are animations and games, and the Wii wouldn't be powerful enough for making animations I reckon, and making games on the Wii would be impractical etc. IMO.

Of course, if you want it, you go ahead, but no one else has done it, nor do I really expect anyone to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2010 11:16PM by SifJar.
October 13, 2010 12:15AM
Yeah I moved the topic because, to me, it sounded like a request. If you were asking if someone's done it why not try searching Google or WiiBrew first? We're not obnoxious, we just expect users to do some research/reading before asking anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2010 12:16AM by bg4545.
October 13, 2010 12:50AM
bg4545
We're not obnoxious, we just expect users to do some research/reading before asking anything.

NEWS FLASH: You are obnoxious. And another thing, I already did a lot of searching to see if a Wii port of blender had been done. And I came up with nothing. So just to make sure, I posted a very simple question. And got tons of rude opinion, completely unasked for, and the post was moved somewhere inappropriate to boot.

Piece of advice: Lose the attitude. It'll help you in life.
October 13, 2010 01:01AM
SifJar
Also, if someone doesn't have a PC, what are they gonna use the models they make for?

Oh, I don't know. Just off the top of my head:

Imagine a virtual world like Second Life, only it's open and free and anyone can add their own models and textures without having to pay money for the privilege. And 2nd, imagine that this virtual world is powered using P2P architecture so there is no need for centralized servers.

Users could create their own worlds, explore around, visit other people's creations. They could grab copies of other people's creations, modify them, publish their own versions. They could import models from the internet, from any source.

The blender project is a popular source of models, there is a ready library, as well as an existing community of enthusiasts. Now suppose you had an app running on WiiBrew that let you gain access to the virtual world I've described above.

One is leveraging the existing infrastructure as much as possible. With a minimum of work one can accomplish something pretty cool.

As to the specs, the blender project is 10 years old, maybe more. 10 years ago there weren't 2Ghz processors. The Wii is quite powerful enough, thank you, to run code that was created 10 years ago for PC's. The fact is these giant system requirements stem from programmer laziness more than anything else. Even the weakest computers today are shockingly poweful compared to the ones in the past. I grew up with a 4 mhz 8 bit Z-80 cpu. You young people don't realize the wealth you have at your fingertips...
October 13, 2010 01:22AM
dashxdr
bg4545
We're not obnoxious, we just expect users to do some research/reading before asking anything.

NEWS FLASH: You are obnoxious. And another thing, I already did a lot of searching to see if a Wii port of blender had been done. And I came up with nothing. So just to make sure, I posted a very simple question. And got tons of rude opinion, completely unasked for, and the post was moved somewhere inappropriate to boot.

Piece of advice: Lose the attitude. It'll help you in life.
How am I being obnoxious? Just because I'm disagreeing with you?
If you searched and found nothing then there's your answer. The way that you posted sounded like a request because lot's of users tend to do that with their requests. The post was already in an inappropriate place as the "Homebrew Applications" section is for Info, discussion and support for existing Wii Homebrew applications.

Anyways SifJar answered your question so I don't know why you're justifying why this app should be made. If you feel it should, then find someone who is willing to do it, or do it yourself.
October 13, 2010 03:54AM
bg4545
How am I being obnoxious? Just because I'm disagreeing with you?

Er, no, but let's just let it drop, continuing this is a waste of our time, and the key information has already been conveyed.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.