Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GameCube Emulator - for the new Wii

Posted by JuanM 
GameCube Emulator - for the new Wii
December 05, 2011 08:35AM
As I am one of the unlucky fools who bought an AWESOME PRICED ZELDA BUNDLE without knowing that there was a difference from the old Wii, I would like to play game cube games. I have pulled all of my other game roms into the system and I am playing them fine, but now my copy (yes, I have the disk) of windwaker is just sitting there, forlorn.

I think it would just make sense to have a gamecube emulator for the Wii, for the less fortunate of us.
Even getting some of the basic functionality of the backwards compatibility would be great. I am unclear on the actual technical difficulties and if N decided to strip out important hardware components that would make this impossible.
Re: GameCube Emulator - for the new Wii
December 05, 2011 01:15PM
Not possible. The new Wii has neither the hardware nor software capacity to play Gamecube games. You'd have more luck just buying a Gamecube or older Wii.
December 05, 2011 06:12PM
From my understanding, everything is still in there. "all" you have to do is solder on some GC controller ports and memory card ports to the solder points left there and you're sweet. but you'd almost definitely be better off getting an older Wii or a GC as bg4545 suggested.
December 06, 2011 04:35PM
I suggest you sell it ASAP, even if you could, you still can't plug the controller into it and what is the gamecube without its weird controllers?
December 22, 2011 04:18PM
I bought one of these as well and was curious --
What happens when you insert and try to launch a Gamecube game?
December 22, 2011 06:36PM
Apparently the drive will reject the smaller sized GC discs (i.e. it spits them back out when you try to insert them)
December 22, 2011 08:36PM
@SifJar suppose you put oil on the disc and grease it up? yeah, probably won't work either.
December 22, 2011 10:56PM
This is not really something to be discussed but couldn't you probably use a cMIOS and backup loader to load a Gamecube game on a regular sized DVD-R? Although without controller ports you wouldn't get anywhere.
December 23, 2011 01:47AM
Nope. New Wiis are guaranteed to have the new drives, that can't load burnt DVDs regardless of IOS/MIOS hacks. (I suggested something similar on another forum, and this answer was given).
December 23, 2011 06:05AM
Oh right, totally forgot about that!
December 23, 2011 02:01PM
I think this is perfect opportunity to duct-tape a gamecube to the new wii and the whole "wii-is-2-gamecubes" would finally make sense.
April 25, 2012 09:33PM
Just as a point of interest, tueidj is working on a project called Devolution (combination of Dolphin and Revolution, development names for GC and Wii respectively) which is a new loader for GC games for the Wii, which will run games in Wii mode rather than GC mode (with some magic going on to make them still work) which means that (eventually) it could be possible to play GC games on all Wiis, and not only that, but control them with Wii controllers and save games to SD card, no need for any GC hardware at all.
May 03, 2012 04:04AM
I paid $250 for my first-gen Wii shortly after it came out. If the new one really is awesomely priced, use $20 from the money you saved to buy a used Gamecube online. No sense driving yourself crazy just to save a little bit of money.
May 03, 2012 03:31PM
Sadly the new wiis aren't priced any cheaper than the older models.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login