Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mod to darken the screen?

Posted by TheSnake 
Mod to darken the screen?
September 08, 2012 04:57AM
So my Wii has the component cable issue that I've found some other people have, where the whites are just too damn bright. And of course during a game, pressing the Home button (which darkens the screen) actually makes it look just fine.

I've been pondering the possibility of a mod that permanently darkens the screen. It seems simple enough, but would it be possible to keep this feature running during games? It is seriously nearly impossible to fly in Skyward Sword due to the clouds.

Oh, and one note: NO, adjusting the contrast or brightness on my TV will not work. This is an issue with the Wii itself that some TVs have when connected via component.

So, what do you all think?
Re: Mod to darken the screen?
September 08, 2012 10:15AM
Its really an issue of the tv still, adjusting the tv settings is supposed to work. As far as I know, its not really feasible to make everything darker because the Wii menu and games all run separately. you could possible patch the system menu but games would not be adjusted.
September 09, 2012 07:18AM
Yeah, it seems to be an issue that's (fairly) common. Adjusting the settings does not work; it's supposedly a bug with the Wii and component on certain TVs. Trust me, myself and many others have tried. I've also tried different cables to no avail, so that's not the issue. I've considered buying (or making) an audio attenuator. That MIGHT solve the issue if I hook it into the green cable, but I'm not 100% sure so I'm not sure whether or not I want to spend the money to try.

But yeah, that was the main issue--keeping the darkness running throughout the menu and into games. Would it be possible to maybe have a loader, or some sort of "cheat" through a loader tha puts a dark overlay on a game before loading it? As I mentioned before, opening the Home menu makes everything look completely normal. It just seems like this should be feasible in some way with games--the menu being too bright doesn't really bother me too much.
September 09, 2012 08:29PM
It would easier for you to run the wii through an external device that modifies the video output. The wii is running a pretty tight ship, there are few people that would even attempt such a specific and custom hack.
September 12, 2012 03:45AM
What do you recommend?

Do you think this would work?
September 13, 2012 01:28AM
I have never seen that problem before so I can't recommend anything. I've only had 1 wii and I play it on my tv which is like 20 years old. lol. It makes a sharp whistling sound for the first 5 minutes after you turn it on.
September 23, 2012 11:34PM
[wiibrew.org]

Looks like an Ocarina code writing some value above 0x80 to 0x0d80001c would do what you want.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login