Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where/what happened to authenticate a disc?

Posted by paul.strickler 
Where/what happened to authenticate a disc?
February 24, 2009 03:56AM
I hope this does not break any rules.
Here goes:

How does the wii tell if a disc is an original? I have heard many stories over at piracytemp, but I am not happy with their credentials. :LOL: I am very curious. I always thought it was the data structure, but nobody seems to agree. The current theory is that the bca has something to do with it, but I know that is wrong.

Also, how does a chip fool the wii? I know it modifys the DVD drive's firmware when it is loaded into ram, but what does it say to the drive, so to speak?

How do the piracy loaders put the hacked ios to work?

How do the bundles that hack the entire systems ioss work?

What do the hIOSs contain that allows them to be misused in this manner?

I really love security and I hope you can answer my questions.
I am sorry for my lack of proper puncuation. I am on a mobile device and am not fluent with my virtual keyboard yet.

hanks.
Re: Where/what happened to authenticate a disc?
February 24, 2009 05:27AM
its breaking the rules to a detailed degree.... google is probably where you want to look. as for the wii theres a code to tell if a dvd is legal or not.

this is probably better help for you : [forum.wiibrew.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2009 05:34AM by cl87.
February 24, 2009 05:44AM
Im gonna check with the admins, but Im going to let this stay as long as it doesnt get out of hand because it does not support piracy and is somewhat constructive on a technical level. Also, I dont think any information given out here would assist pirates because the warez launchers already exist and we are not describing how a user would find, burn, or run backups.
February 24, 2009 06:40AM
i dont know, i can understand about how to bypass the system for productive use, i do my research but a lot of people prefer a cios of anything else. piracy loaders, is a reference to backups mostly, an this is the first time ive heard of a hios.

@paul.strickler

what do you plan to do?
February 24, 2009 06:56AM
By hIOS I think he means 'hacked IOS'... in other words cIOS
February 24, 2009 07:10AM
i found a bunch of those out with google, but they dont have any good purpose to them, patchmii was a good call, it did everything the original creator did, and removed the piracy issues. i just think of ideas i dont do the programming. but bypassing system you can only do so good, i dont know i think bootmii will be, the last "hack" we will need. HBC was good but too much moving through the menu (on my sd card). and it should remove the want to everyone to "create" thier channels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2009 07:11AM by cl87.
February 24, 2009 11:04AM
you should read this: Anatomy of an Optical Medium Authentication (Part 1)

if the purpose of your thread is to prove this can easily be beaten by software, you probably will be very disappointed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2009 11:06AM by ekeeke.
May 03, 2009 02:10PM
ekeeke

if the purpose of your thread is to prove this can easily be beaten by software, you probably will be very disappointed.

That's about the GameCube's disc format, which does use the BCA.

The Wii uses a bog-standard DVD, with a bunch of on-Wii stuff for encrypting and decrypting. The signature is the only thing we haven't truly defeated yet, as it uses RSA and we don't have the private key.
May 03, 2009 03:02PM
WikiFSX
ekeeke

That's about the GameCube's disc format, which does use the BCA.

The Wii uses a bog-standard DVD, with a bunch of on-Wii stuff for encrypting and decrypting. The signature is the only thing we haven't truly defeated yet, as it uses RSA and we don't have the private key.

Wrong. The Wii's encryption and signature-checking is layered on top of the protection mechanisms (the ones that involve the BCA and the sector scrambling) from the GameCube. Otherwise, you wouldn't need a modchip to play copied (but unaltered) games.
July 04, 2009 05:13PM
cl87
i dont know, i can understand about how to bypass the system for productive use, i do my research but a lot of people prefer a cios of anything else. piracy loaders, is a reference to backups mostly, an this is the first time ive heard of a hios.

@paul.strickler

what do you plan to do?
I know that I would like to be able to create a disc full of homebrew stuff to be installed. Make it easy for n00bs (not that is hard but just look at our forum...). Have it run the Hackmii installer, and include another app that runs after that that would offer different homebrew to be installed such as HBB, and a few base games to get people hooked. Though the issue is that if you can figure all that out you have made the biggest to-be exploited hole for piracy. It is bitter-sweet but you know that it will not end well. With knowledge comes responsibility and controlling that kind of knowledge is mostly impossible.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login