Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

IOS36 Question

Posted by Sonicdude41 
IOS36 Question
March 08, 2009 10:28PM
Okay, I have the Homebrew Channel installed (version 1.0.1 to be exact). Everything is fine, but there is one thing that I've been wondering about.

When I hit the Home button while in the HBC (at the App Select Screen), I notice that right under the version #, an IOS # (which in this case is IOS36 v12.18) is listed.

Is this the latest version of IOS for the Wii, or is this the IOS that allows the HBC to run?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2009 10:29PM by Sonicdude41.
Re: IOS36 Question
March 08, 2009 10:33PM
It shows the IOS that the HBC is using
March 08, 2009 10:41PM
Oooooh, okay. Thanks!
March 11, 2009 03:42AM
So technically you can have multiple IOSs installed, or is there default more then one installed.
March 11, 2009 03:50AM
There's many different IOS's that are installed
[url=http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS
IOS[/url]]It provides the services that are used by Wii code to access most of the system devices.
IOS is a somewhat unique system in that many games use (and come with) their own version of the IOS, though many games use the same IOS versions. There is no "true" version of the operating system, instead there are many of what could be called "slots" for different versions of IOS to sit in. IOS versions are not aware of each other, and are not used or invoked at all unless software specifically requests to run using them. In this way it can be considered "safe" to install custom IOS modules, or to patch any IOS module so long as it is not used by the system menu, as if it becomes corrupt it can be deleted and replaced without damaging the system as a whole.
March 11, 2009 04:05AM
So are the IOSs categorized and any manner? like 30's and 200's and such?
i know 33 and 36 seem to come up alot.
March 11, 2009 05:33AM
No, there's not really any order or anything. They're numbered pretty randomly [wiibrew.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login