Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

IOS3

Posted by fogbank 
IOS3
March 23, 2009 05:36PM
Apparently Nintendo is including a new IOS (IOS3) on new Wii's. Is there any info available on this new IOS yet? It seems to be "factory installed" and there is no indication that it is available on the update servers.

Title=1-3 (IOS3) vers: 255.0 (65280)
Re: IOS3
March 23, 2009 08:27PM
Ive heard of a new boot1, but not of this. Could you please source where you heard it from?
March 24, 2009 04:52PM
Arikado
Ive heard of a new boot1, but not of this. Could you please source where you heard it from?

It came up in a title listing on a new Wii. The owner of this Wii (along with several other individuals) is apparently unable to run certain apps that access the NAND using cIOS installed as IOS249. He was able to run one specific version of title lister that provided the listing. Two other versions of the title lister app failed to run.

The exact source is a forum thread that is essentially related to piracy, so I will spare the details. It appears, however, that Nintendo has added new security to the system, in addition to this new IOS.
March 26, 2009 03:36AM
fogbank
Arikado

It came up in a title listing on a new Wii. The owner of this Wii (along with several other individuals) is apparently unable to run certain apps that access the NAND using cIOS installed as IOS249. He was able to run one specific version of title lister that provided the listing. Two other versions of the title lister app failed to run.

The exact source is a forum thread that is essentially related to piracy, so I will spare the details. It appears, however, that Nintendo has added new security to the system, in addition to this new IOS.

well 249 is a pirates "trick", but patchmii (with a downgrade) i reinstalled, with ATD, but my wii is before the new boot 1, and got homebrew working on mine again. to what i real the 2 pirate hacks were 249 and 247, im still pressing on the homebrew to see anything i can learn.
March 27, 2009 06:36PM
cl87
well 249 is a pirates "trick", but patchmii (with a downgrade) i reinstalled, with ATD, but my wii is before the new boot 1, and got homebrew working on mine again. to what i real the 2 pirate hacks were 249 and 247, im still pressing on the homebrew to see anything i can learn.

Well pirates can install cIOS to just about any higher IOS slot they wish, so there's nothing really "magical" about either 249 or 247...it's just that the majority of the time 249 is used. Install cIOS to any higher/unused slot and code your app to load that IOS in order to make use of it.

The original post was about the sighting of a new IOS(3) that has never been seen before (at least not to my knowledge).
March 28, 2009 06:45PM
Have just confirmed another Wii with title 1-3.

Just curious...

Since no one has been able to dump the NAND of one of these Wii's with "IOS3" we have not been able to analyze it. Is it possible that the title lister app is just listing it as an IOS because by convention any title above 1-2 and below 1-255 is considered an IOS? Could it be that "title 1-3" is not an IOS at all?

Maybe it's "boot3"...?

OK that may be a stretch, but can anyone tell?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2009 06:46PM by fogbank.
March 29, 2009 04:01AM
if its boot3 the why ios?

would it be possible to extract it with usb gecko?
March 29, 2009 06:32PM
cl87
if its boot3 the why ios?

would it be possible to extract it with usb gecko?

I'm NOT saying it's "boot3"...that was more like a joke than a suggestion. I'm only saying that since we can't analyze it (yet) it may not be an IOS at all. It may just be that the title lister app is reporting it that way. Although logically it probably is an IOS.

I am not familiar enough with USB Gecko to know if it is able to dump the Wii NAND, but I don't think so.

FWIW, this "title" has been found on at least 3 new Wii's that I know of. The latest one has nothing but the Homebrew Channel installed (no illegal WADS, IOS16, or cIOS).

I wonder if this could affect the ability to install Bootmii as a cIOS? I know that Team Twiizers has an exploit to install titles without relying on the fakesigning bug, but could this affect the Bootmii installation in any way?
November 15, 2009 11:43PM
err... wasnt this included in The prelaunch wii?
system menu 0.0
November 17, 2009 06:27AM
November 22, 2009 08:57PM
IOS3 is a stub. It does nothing, it's just there to provide one less open IOS slot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login