Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

General Debugging Question

Posted by gecono 
December 14, 2008 04:39AM
Is it possible to debug the code that is executed on the arm core?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2008 04:40AM by gecono.
Re: General Debugging Question
December 14, 2008 11:08AM
December 14, 2008 03:36PM
henke37
Sure.
A man of little words! ;-)

Going further...

Is there any documentation on how to debug the arm code that runs on starlet? I read the debugging wiki on the wiibrew site but it seems to be ppc specific.

Do I need the usb gecko specifically? That way I can order one and figure out how to debug before it arrives.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
December 19, 2008 10:38PM
According to a dicussion including marcan on #wiidev it seems that gecko debugging was not working for him from starlet. He initially was outputting debug messages to a LCD attached to startlet (I think he said that?).

Frustrating I guess down the road. Luckily, I think I can develop what I'm working on for the ppc first and then port to starlet.
December 22, 2008 05:35AM
This was recently resolved. What are you trying to do?
December 22, 2008 05:36AM
-- moved topic --

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2008 04:40AM by gecono.
December 23, 2008 03:46AM
I wanted to play around with the usb stuff and try and port an existing ehci driver. It would be too time consuming, seemingly hard to debug and test and I'm pretty sure that if ehci is supported someone else is already working on it. Not to mention it is too controversial ;-)

The context of my original question was under the assumption that in order to access the ehci registers I needed to run on starlet and debug there. Now I think that the registers are shared between the ppc and arm?

I’m still interested if I can use the gecko for starlet debugging. Which it seems, according to you, possible.
December 23, 2008 04:18AM
It's possible; in fact, you can just port the gecko code (see kenobiwii.s from Gecko OS, for example) directly to ARM and it'll work. marcan was having trouble because he was trying to use the gecko before running IOS at all. (Though he got even that to work. I do hope BootMii will be open source; I want to take a peek at all the fun stuff in there.)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login