Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BootMii

Posted by pinball Wizard 
BootMii
October 16, 2008 02:31AM
Great job guys. On our way to the future of even better Wiis.
Re: BootMii
October 18, 2008 02:28AM
I have a question that I probably missed the answer to in the hackmii article... How does someone install (use I should say) this hack? HBC? Modchip? SaveMii?
October 18, 2008 02:38AM
It can be installed via homebrew. IIRC, it can even be installed using the same methods as most normal titles-- boot2 has a sort of "alias" as title 1-1.
October 18, 2008 01:45PM
It's installed with a small dol that basically just calls ES_ImportBoot2. boot2 cannot be installed like normal titles using the ES_AddTitleStart/... functions because it doesn't live inside the filesystem.
October 18, 2008 02:58PM
While BootMii will have significant use for fixing bricked Wiis, it's worthwhile to note that you will have to use some sort of NAND flash programmer to install it on a Wii that's already bricked.
October 18, 2008 04:45PM
bushing
While BootMii will have significant use for fixing bricked Wiis, it's worthwhile to note that you will have to use some sort of NAND flash programmer to install it on a Wii that's already bricked.
So, better to get something brick-proof in before the brick right?
October 19, 2008 09:17AM
October 24, 2008 05:45AM
so what does bootmii even do?
October 24, 2008 09:04AM
lizard81288
http://hackmii.com
October 24, 2008 07:47PM
bushing
lizard81288
http://hackmii.com

i have read that article, guess i'm stupid...
so for bootmii, my wii can update its firmware without messing up the HBC, and other apps, or am i wrong?..
October 25, 2008 03:46AM
lizard81288
i have read that article, guess i'm stupid...
so for bootmii, my wii can update its firmware without messing up the HBC, and other apps, or am i wrong?..

Sure. It is a bit of code that runs on starlet, and is installed at a point very early in the boot process. It *can* possibly be explicitly removed by Nintendo, but the plan is to patch out the function that lets them do this--and possibly do something about the standard update process.

The main uses are quite simply:
For devs/hackers:
1) Running code while nothing else is going on the Wii.
For Users:
2) Being a "safety net" for 100% of System Menu bricks, among other types of bricks.
3) Giving a way to run code even if Nintendo patches all other current homebrew methods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2008 03:47AM by tona.
October 25, 2008 05:06AM
Hm, does boot2 keep running when the Wii is off?
October 25, 2008 05:11AM
No, boot2 is a bootloader. It only runs the instant you push the power button on the Wii (after a cold start, that is).
February 19, 2009 06:18AM
Ok so let me see if I have this right
the options are

BootMii as boot2
-Loads it up before the wii os is loaded.

BootMii asSysMenu IOS
-Loads it as the systemMenu?

BootMii as IOS
-Is almost pointless?

Also boot1 is a no go for most of BootMiis capabilites. (Do we know when the dates or serials started with boot1?)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login