Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

System menu 4.0: can't copy channels back to wii

Posted by grunt 
System menu 4.0: can't copy channels back to wii
April 25, 2009 11:03AM
So my wii updated while on standby (i recently got a wireless router) and i discovered the new sd menu. I decided to copy some channels over including hbc. thing is, i thought i could just delete the hbc from the wii system menu and now it seems the wii has disabled any copying of channels from the sd back to the wii (it tells me 'channel may not have copied/moved). Can still copy to the sd though. If you can find a solution for me, great, but i don't expect one right now. Guess this serves as a warning.

Edit: i can confirm that any working wad games that i subsequently copy to the sd will not copy back to the wii. i get the same error message as above., but it will run from the sd

grunt.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2009 12:15PM by grunt.
Re: System menu 4.0: can't copy channels back to wii
April 25, 2009 02:20PM
grunt
So my wii updated while on standby (i recently got a wireless router) and i discovered the new sd menu.

This is very important! Are you sure the Wii did this on its own? Did either you or anybody else start the update process?

Edit: i can confirm that any working wad games that i subsequently copy to the sd will not copy back to the wii. i get the same error message as above., but it will run from the sd

This does not make a lot of sense. Because if you run something from SD, your Wii will copy it in the background.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2009 03:53PM by daniel_c_w.
April 25, 2009 03:12PM
grunt
So my wii updated while on standby (i recently got a wireless router) and i discovered the new sd menu.
Bullshit.

grunt
it seems the wii has disabled any copying of channels from the sd back to the wii (it tells me 'channel may not have copied/moved). Can still copy to the sd though.
The only channels that wont work from the SD card are illegal (pirated) channels and the HBC. On 4.0, you are unable to run them from the SD card and unable to copy them from the SD card to the Wii.

Lastly, codewise the problem is very easy to fix. I have my 4.0 Wii set up so I can move the HBC back and forth to the SD card safely. If we can run unsigned code on a 4.0 Wii (and WiiBrew approves of it) it would be pretty simple (well, not for me) to write an app that corrects the problem reenabling many people's HBCs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2009 03:13PM by Arikado.
April 25, 2009 05:42PM
If you legally purchased games then you SHOULD be able to copy your games back and forth to your Wii.
April 26, 2009 05:12AM
ok, well the facts are:
my wii was updated to 4.0e
the pirated VC and WiiWare game channels that i installed and MOVED (not copied) over to the sd cannot be actively copied back (when i go to data management and attempt to copy or move a channel from the sd to the wii, it will tell me that 'data may not have been copied')

and to confirm daniel_c_w: i noticed that any pirated channels that i moved before didn't work, so i moved a pirated channel not yet on the sd over to the sd and found that i could run it from the sd menu, but i couldn't copy it back.
what did you mean by 'Because if you run something from SD, your Wii will copy it in the background'? are you saying that the wii copies the channel over to a temp folder on the wii's HD and runs it from there?

now to fix the roblem, i was wondering what the wii's system format does? does it wipe everything including the updates? because i've backed up any important save data (some of it i couldn't copy to the sd) and was wondering if this was a possible fix.

found out the hard way that it doesn't, though i probably could've googled that. so is there any way i can downgrade the official 4.0e system menu?

if you don't want to help me, it's fine, and thank you.

grunt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2009 08:41AM by grunt.
April 26, 2009 04:33PM
1. why would you want to downgrade ? 4.0 is great because of the sd support...

2. if you actually bought your games instead of pirating you wouldnt run into this problem

3. the reason why your having this problem is when you buy a game theres is a specific ticket(or license) that gets downloaded on your wii which lets it know that you've really bought the game and allows you to move it when you please. Now when you pirate games, that license isnt written and your wii wont let you COPY 'unlicensed channels' on your wii. And this goes for everything that doesnt have a "license" And that includes HBC... which is why they say dont move HBC to the SD card.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2009 04:35PM by MiniMii.
April 27, 2009 10:17AM
yep i understand. i'll just have to wait until another workaround for hbc comes out, no biggy.

thanks.
grunt
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.