Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One big IOS

Posted by malexous 
One big IOS
May 25, 2009 06:30PM
Would it be possible for Nintendo to update the Wii and install one IOS that controlled everything and in place of the current IOSs put something that told the games to look for this IOS. This was asked on the comments page of HackMii - "Why the Wii will never get any better" by two people but it was never answered.

What benefits would it have if it is possible? Just to save space on the 512MB or would it then be possible to add Wii Speak support to games like MKWii (or to run Wii Speak in the backround)
Re: One big IOS
May 25, 2009 07:57PM
No, it will never happen.
May 25, 2009 08:54PM
That sounds like it is possible which is what I want to know.
May 25, 2009 09:08PM
Well, it is definitly possible, to work with just one IOS and make all games use that.

But I do not know, whether it is possible, or even feasable, to force Wii Speak support on all games that way.
May 26, 2009 03:40PM
In some sense, they already have. Modern versions of IOS share many modules between then; I don't know why they don't share ALL modules.

Still, I don't believe that support for features like WiiSpeak really comes from IOS.
July 04, 2009 05:03PM
So how would Nintendo tell the Wii to start up running a big IOS (that I assume would probably be more so a container file)? Would they have to change files in boot2 to tell the System Menu what to load and such?
July 04, 2009 05:13PM
Arikado
You need a hex editor with dissassembling capabilities. Also, you may want to google around the internet for a bit and figure out how to understand asm.

I assume HexEdit (mac only I think) that has the option to Disassemble PPC code would be what you would need right? I mean the Wii is PPC-based.
July 04, 2009 05:46PM
pinball Wizard
Arikado
You need a hex editor with dissassembling capabilities. Also, you may want to google around the internet for a bit and figure out how to understand asm.

I assume HexEdit (mac only I think) that has the option to Disassemble PPC code would be what you would need right? I mean the Wii is PPC-based.

IOS runs on Starlet ARM not Broadway PPC
July 04, 2009 08:07PM
bushing
Still, I don't believe that support for features like WiiSpeak really comes from IOS.

Propably not.

I guess the idea is, to manipulate an IOS, that it forces Wii Speak support as good as it can, whether the PPC-side application wants it or not.
Say the ARM is performant enough to handle that (is it?),
can it even output sound, without disturbing any sound the PPC-side might wanna output?

By the way: does an IOS play any role in the sound department normally?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2009 08:08PM by daniel_c_w.
July 04, 2009 10:45PM
metroid_maniac
pinball Wizard
Arikado

IOS runs on Starlet ARM not Broadway PPC
Your right... I got my thought process backwards today. IOS runs on Starlet to CONTROL Broadway not broadway running IOS telling Starlet what to do... (Smacks self).
July 05, 2009 06:22PM
pinball Wizard
Arikado

I think you posted that in the wrong topic...
July 06, 2009 04:48AM
No, I think he thought the wii was PPC only (like the Dolphin/GameCube), I don't think he knew that the starlet (where IOS runs) ran in ARM.
July 06, 2009 11:45AM
wiiguy
No, I think he thought the wii was PPC only (like the Dolphin/GameCube), I don't think he knew that the starlet (where IOS runs) ran in ARM.

But Arikado's quote is from this topic: [forum.wiibrew.org], so I think he did post in the wrong topic.
July 06, 2009 01:12PM
wiiguy
I was thinking that the Starlet was PPC and Hollywood was ARM, not the other way around.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login