Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

IOS Dump

Posted by pinball Wizard 
IOS Dump
September 13, 2008 04:40AM
I am interested in how all the IOS functions and the System Menu talk. There are many ways to make the wii hackable through taking IOS functions and other parts that tell the system to do whatever that can be changed. As an example, the install of HBC could change IOS30 (that is the one the system menu uses right?) tell it to download the normal updates but have it patch the file after download before install to remove coding that is to kill homebrew and other small things. Eventually we could add functions to the IOS to in turn create or update the current system menu. So I ask, is there a tool to dump the decrypted format of the IOS?
Re: IOS Dump
September 13, 2008 11:48AM
There are a lot of ways to get unencrypted IOS modules.

You can read them directly from the Wii filesystem, decrypt a NAND dump with segher's tools, or decrypt an IOS WAD with segher's tools. Most of them are ARM ELFs that you can easily put through IDA.
September 14, 2008 06:19PM
Really? Hmm... I guess I know what I need to do next. Learn segher's tools so I can decrypt a NAND dump. Does his tools run on a computer or the wii. If on the computer, mac, windows, or linux? I could probably look it up to find it faster but thanks.
September 19, 2008 07:02AM
You'd probably be better off trying to understand how the system works and what tools are already available first, before trying to modify or enhance them. What you just described is what patchmii_core was written to do.
September 20, 2008 04:05AM
I figured that the patchmii_core is what I would have to use. I will start looking at all the wiki pages about the system. I never realized how detailed it is.
September 23, 2008 03:25PM
Yup, it's been a fun year!
September 25, 2008 01:42AM
Ya know the wii was a design failure for security by looking at how everything is laid out. There are millions of better ways. Not complaining since it helps us just seriously shocked.

P.S. Bushing, I want to personally thank you for all the work you have done for us. I have had my disagreements but you know, overall great job.
September 25, 2008 02:45AM
Never mind the layout, I think strncmp alone says enough. ;)
September 25, 2008 04:49PM
No, it was not a design failure. The design of the security systems isn't that bad at all: They sign everything (DVDs, Channels, Savegames,...) using well-established cryptography algorithms (RSA, elliptic curve cryptography, SHA-1,...). They even have a hardware AES and SHA-1 engine they use to be able to maintain a chain of trust during the boot process and a processor dedicated to almost all security.
Their implementation of this design is the real problem. Using a self-written RSA implementation with an obscure bug (strncmp) instead of using an already established one was just stupid and that's just one of the many problem :P
September 25, 2008 10:51PM
Yes, the only real "failures" as I see them resulted from:

1) Unencrypted memory, which is more of a cost vs. benefit issue (the other big consoles have it)
2) Outsourced Security to Some Guys Who Used To Work For ATI Or Something. Badly managed US companies have a habit of doing things half-assed. Heck, even well managed ones seem to do things half-assed.

The security wasn't too bad, but the disc drive was still easily hackable (This continues to be a huge failure), so we had an entrypoint for running gamecube homebrew. From that, there was a way to start sniffing for information inside the system.
September 26, 2008 03:22PM
the unencrypted memory wasn't such a bad decision at all. it probably saved them much money. it was just a really stupid idea to store encryption keys permanently there instead of the internal ram starlet has (x'ffff_????) or just giving the AES engine access to the OTP. Not cleaning MEM2 before switching to GC mode wasn't such a good idea too. :-)
September 29, 2008 02:25AM
Oh, where to begin ... we probably would never have gotten in if they hadn't been leaving keys lying around all over the place.

Really, the fact that they have a hardware AES engine without embedded key storage (ala iPhone) is inexcusable.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login