Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

IOS how to?

Posted by profetylen 
IOS how to?
June 21, 2009 05:11PM
If I wanted to check out how an IOS is built up. Where do I look?
Re: IOS how to?
June 25, 2009 06:39PM
By disassembling an IOS?
June 25, 2009 06:42PM
I don't know how. I was just curios. Disassembling it would mean I would get assembly code out of it, right? In that case, how can you make custom IOSes and such as assembly code is close to impossible to understand?
June 25, 2009 09:02PM
Assembly is not that hard to understand if you have the correct tools. The hardest part is the symbols are stripped which makes even more difficult.
June 27, 2009 06:49PM
Ok! What are the tools required?

edit: What does it mean that the symbols are stripped?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2009 06:08PM by profetylen.
June 29, 2009 04:14AM
profetylen
Ok! What are the tools required?

edit: What does it mean that the symbols are stripped?

It means that any bit of human-readable information (pointer names, the like) will be absent, and replaced with something like generic numbers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2009 04:14AM by WikiFSX.
June 29, 2009 12:18PM
WikiFSX
It means that any bit of human-readable information (pointer names, the like) will be absent, and replaced with something like generic numbers.

OK!

If i disassemble a thing, will I then get C-code out of it, just replaced variable names with generic numbers?

How do I dissassmble it or where can I learn about dissassembling?
June 30, 2009 03:43AM
No, you will get assembler code
June 30, 2009 02:58PM
OK!

How do I dissassemble stuff so I can get assembly code?
June 30, 2009 03:40PM
You need a hex editor with dissassembling capabilities. Also, you may want to google around the internet for a bit and figure out how to understand asm.
July 02, 2009 07:39PM
OK! I already know a little asm :P

However I donwloaded an IOS with NUS Downloader and decrypted it.

I realized it consists of a bunch of files, named 00000071, 00000072, 00000073, 00000001.app, 00000002.app, tmd.417m cetk to mention a few examples.

Where exactly is the machine code in these and what are loaded first for example when you install an IOS?
July 03, 2009 06:30AM
Starlet is an ARM CPU, so it's ARM machine code. I use devkitARM to disassemble IOS, as IDA Pro Free only has x86 support. The kernel is the first IOS code run. Check the TMD for the boot index and boot content ID. Strip the elf "loader" from the kernel .app. It's all of the data before the byte before the "ELF" string. The other contents are .elf modules loaded by the kernel. Using arm-eabi-objdump doesn't work however with the elfs alone, extraction of the text sections are needed. objdump doesn't work with these elfs because objdump only uses section headers, and IOS elfs only have program headers.
July 03, 2009 12:58PM
Thank you all for the info! :)
July 07, 2009 06:18PM
Hmmm.. How do I even start devkitARM?
July 07, 2009 06:52PM
Download and install devkitARM. Use arm-eabi-objdump and arm-eabi-readelf.(The former to disassemble, the latter to obtain the start-end offsets of sections to extract them, and the sections' virtual/physical addresses.)
Here's my dasm.txt reference.(Based on chishm's gbadev posts)
Replace the filename before the > with the input extracted binary, and replace the filename after the > with the dissassembly filename.
NDS:

arm-eabi-objdump -D -b binary -m arm arm9.bin > _9_ARM.s
arm-eabi-objdump -D -b binary -m arm arm7.bin > _7_ARM.s
arm-eabi-objdump -D -b binary -m arm -M force-thumb arm9.bin > _9_THUMB.s
arm-eabi-objdump -D -b binary -m arm -M force-thumb arm7.bin > _7_THUMB.s

Wii Starlet:

arm-eabi-objdump -D -b binary -m arm -EB text.bin > text_arm.s
arm-eabi-objdump -D -b binary -m arm -M force-thumb -EB text.bin > text_thumb.s
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login