Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Loading .dol files into IDA

Posted by rf1911 
Loading .dol files into IDA
June 30, 2009 03:29PM
Hi guys, i was wondering how to get ida pro 5.2 to work on wii .dol files. Do i need a specific plugin?

Thanks!
Re: Loading .dol files into IDA
June 30, 2009 03:36PM
Whats ida pro?

Also, do you mean Wii .dol or Wii Homebrew .dol files? They're two entirely different things.
June 30, 2009 03:44PM
Thnaks for the answer..

Ida pro is a multiplatform interactive disassembler...

i need to disassemble a wii .dol file extracted from a wii game, in order to make have some fun :)

Thanks again.
June 30, 2009 03:49PM
My understanding of dissassemblers/hex editors is limited to if you just click file open ... any file in the entire world ... it will work. I'm not aware of any specific plugins, but if it doesn't work, let me know and I will look around. (Also let me know if you find anything interesting ;-) )
June 30, 2009 03:55PM
..ok my intention is to make a trainer the old way as i dont have a usbgecko (i used to be a Razor cracker looooong time ago), modifying the .dol file then putting it back using wiiscrubber.

I have very low knowledge of PPC, but im a ready for some studying. I cant figure out how to load main.dol in ida pro 5.2, as it does not recognize the format.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.
June 30, 2009 04:28PM
ok.. i figured out something.. load it as binary ppc.. do i have to use the makecode key on each address in order to display the disasm??? that's damn long!

Thank again..
June 30, 2009 06:35PM
Anyone has any suggestion?

Thanks
June 30, 2009 09:30PM
Even if i dont think many ppl might be interested i got it to work by converting it to .elf :)

Thanks again
June 30, 2009 11:35PM
Actually, that is really interesting. What did you use to convert it to an .elf?
July 01, 2009 07:31AM
:)

I used "Dol Tool 3". Search on google. I can post the link if you want.

Thanks.
July 02, 2009 08:21PM
... i was wondering something else...

what if, using this method, a buffer overflow hack or any other exploit IS created in a game in order to run something like the twilight hack or any arbitrary code?

Then nintendo could do nothing to fix this...if you have a modchip.. obviously..

Thanks..
July 07, 2009 08:57PM
I have succeeded in making an 'old skool' byte trainer.. :) was real fun...

Thanks for reading..
July 18, 2009 12:20PM
Just my 2cents here, ida pro doesnt support the PPC architecture, its main uses is for windows programs and is used by crackers to find algorithms for serial keys, i have use ida pro for that purpose but only on testing apps not real copyrighted apps
July 19, 2009 07:08PM
SteelSLasher, the free 4.9 version of IDA Pro only supports PC x86. You must pay for the commercial $500 version for full processor support.(PPC, ARM, ect)
July 19, 2009 08:25PM
You need IDA Pro 5.2 and the DOL Loader and Gekko plug-in (dol.ldw and gekkops.plw). I had some trouble finding them so I uploaded the plugins to sharebee. Check the readme.txt for more information.

IDA Pro 5.2 Plugins for GameCube/Wii

After installing, just open the .dol file with IDA Pro and it should open without any problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2009 08:26PM by Dteyn.
July 22, 2009 01:50PM
Thanks, i found the already, hard to find as you said.

It was fun to get into PPC...:)

Thanks to all again.
December 20, 2010 06:51PM
Interesting discussion! :P
Here's the official page of the DOL Loader Plugin v0.1 for IDA v5.2! ;)
And for anyone that is interested, there is also this alternative updated version: PPCAltivec Plugin v1.8 for IDA v6.0

P.S.: Just wondering...
Has anyone ever tried disassembling the IOS used by the Photo Channel to check if any loading functions of the supported file formats is exploitable??? ;)

Annoying bold removed --bg4545

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2010 08:16PM by bg4545.
December 20, 2010 08:11PM
This topic is well over a year old, I don't see why you posted other than to bring up your impossible "Photo Channel exploit".
Furthermore, looking at the IOS will not help you in any way. You would need to look at the channel itself.
December 20, 2010 09:09PM
Reopened to point out that a DOL loading plugin won't help with IOS, and IOS had nothing to do with DOLs, so is completely pointless to be mentioned in this topic.

And...closed again.
December 21, 2010 11:00PM
n00b mods: The topic may be old but those plugins are almost impossible to find. Posting download locations for them is always a good thing. I personally wasn't even aware a version of the DOL Loader plugin that existed for the newer IDA Pro 5.x versions. Not an excuse to close a topic despite how you feel about the posters second paragraph.

To the original poster: Always appreciate having updated links, thanks. However, I've asked about Altivec support before and been told the Wii's processor doesn't support it. (fwiw I've also never come across it before in any disassemblies I've done). And afaik the photo channel itself loads images and does sanity checks on them, not the IOS it runs under. The suggestion has been brought up before but so far no one has seemed to be able to exploit it, the sanity checks are pretty thorough. However, that's not to say its impossible of course; We know how Nintendo loves to leave vulnerabilities in their systems ;)

Another a good link to repost: [github.com] <-- Megazigs Wii tools which can be used alongside IDA disassemblies to provide detailed information on them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login