Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nintendo servers

Posted by Dries 
Nintendo servers
January 23, 2009 11:08AM
I am very curious about something, on the wiibrew wiki first advice you get is: do not update. At the same time you do need/can use an internet connection for homebrew. Now I would like to add to the wiki some kind of explanation to how to have a working connection and at the same time make sure no updates will be installed.

One of the ways to do this is to block the nintendo update servers on your router. But I am not able to find the ip-addresses or names of these servers. Although I do see "that there is a list" mentioned. Does anyone have this information? Is it ok if I would add that to the wiki.

Maybe the same applies for the weather and news servers..might also be interesting to add...

Dries
Re: Nintendo servers
January 23, 2009 11:58PM
*sigh*

try nus.shop.wii.com and nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
Or you could, you know, just not hit "OK" when it asks you to update.
January 25, 2009 01:53PM
Thank you for your reply...don't know what I did to deserve the cynicism because I did do a search (on this forum, the wiki and on google) before I posted my reply. And yes of course I could choose not to hit OK but I am not sure if my 5 and 7 year old would do the same. So I was looking for a more fool proof fix and also share that with other people. Furthermore I thought that as most technical detail is described on the wiki describing the update procedure (or at least start a page about it) might proof useful too. As there is little to no mention of that.

Your answer does raise a number of questions that I could ask you but, you know, somehow I don't feel like contributing anymore
January 26, 2009 03:47AM
I think you can use the Parental Controls to set a password for updating. Not totally sure, I don't have kids... =P
June 18, 2009 03:59PM
Nintendo really "Can't" Update your system! by Law - yes, but they dont have the code to do so ( from info in another post)

Im guessing only smaller data is transmitted, Miis\Messages\News\Weather\Etc.,
June 23, 2009 02:40PM
i think this topic has run its course.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.