Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BC: what does it do?

Posted by metroid_maniac 
BC: what does it do?
January 28, 2009 02:09PM
I have read on hackmii that BC is very similar to boot1, and thus probably loads boot2.what does it do and (as bootmii is a boot2 patch) is it affected by bootmii?
Re: BC: what does it do?
January 28, 2009 05:11PM
I don't have the full story for BC, but IIRC it is used to load MIOS. You could consider it a bootloader for MIOS.
January 29, 2009 02:25PM
For reasons not quite clear, the System Menu does not directly load MIOS to boot a GameCube game. Instead, it launches BC, which is almost identical to boot1. The only major difference is that it sets a register which slows down the Hollywood clock speed to that of the Flipper (found in the GC).

When boot2 runs, it checks that clock speed; if it's in the slower mode, it starts MIOS instead of the System Menu.

Unless we do something to specifically prevent it, BC will load BootMii, yes. Also, new versions of BC (like those released several months ago) will refuse to load BootMii, so that will actually break GC compatibility :/
January 29, 2009 03:52PM
are those the ones from 3.3? will you guys be making an app using bootmii to specifically downgrade BC? (not anything else so it wont help piracy) I love my gamecube games :-) also, is gamecube mode under ios? what starlet code runs?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2009 07:46PM by metroid_maniac.
January 30, 2009 11:14PM
Yes, those are the ones from 3.3. We'll deal with the BC vs BootMii compatibility issue when we actually release the thing. GameCube mode runs under MIOS.
January 31, 2009 08:58AM
so is MIOS starlet code then?
February 01, 2009 12:34AM
Yup (hence MIOS).
February 01, 2009 04:08PM
so

system menu detects GC game and loads BC
BC changes clock speed and loads boot2
boot2 detects clock speed and loads MIOS
MIOS loads gc game
February 01, 2009 04:10PM
MIOS actually starts some powerpc code embedded into its ELF and this powerpc code loads the gc game then.
February 14, 2009 01:56PM
bushing
For reasons not quite clear, the System Menu does not directly load MIOS to boot a GameCube game. Instead, it launches BC, which is almost identical to boot1. The only major difference is that it sets a register which slows down the Hollywood clock speed to that of the Flipper (found in the GC).

When boot2 runs, it checks that clock speed; if it's in the slower mode, it starts MIOS instead of the System Menu.

Does that mean that it would be possible to install a patched BC and BOOT2 to slow down the clock to something like a fraction smaller than what the Wii uses ordinarily, as opposed to the value that GameCube uses, so that GameCube games can load using the Wii clock speed (minus 0.01 or something), and have a much faster clock speed in GameCube mode..?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2009 01:58PM by SoraK05.
March 30, 2009 09:44AM
Is there even anything that prevents us from loading gamecube code while running at full spped in WiiMode?
March 30, 2009 07:55PM
Argh, nothing, I made a mistake at reading his post.

So games would not work in my opinion
daniel_c_w
Is there even anything that prevents us from loading gamecube code while running at full spped in WiiMode?
Anyway, I do not see the reason..
For example the overclocked DS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL8xi_CgIJ4

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2009 08:00PM by IcyVeins.
April 19, 2009 12:18PM
hmm i have 3.3j (V1) which was downgrader through ARC to 3.2j which obviously has the new BC and MIOS, I sure hope they release a downgrader!
April 19, 2009 01:18PM
April 19, 2009 10:30PM
Is there a way to fix this in BootMii without having to use a SD binary?

If there is, here's an idea.

If anything tries to start BC, your code traps it, sets the register, and goes to normal boot2 from there. Essentially, skip BC.
April 20, 2009 08:18AM
well, i do love my gamecube games.
April 23, 2009 04:02AM
ok but if you have bootmii replace the bc you would need to make a loader for gc games in that code so you wouldnt lose the feat.
April 23, 2009 02:52PM
It will be taken care of. Next question?
June 11, 2009 01:41PM
If the BC can underclock the CPU and GPU, would it be possible to modify the BC to overclock the the CPU and GPU?
June 11, 2009 06:43PM
timmy112
If the BC can underclock the CPU and GPU, would it be possible to modify the BC to overclock the the CPU and GPU?

Why does BC have any special privileges? Bootmii probably could under/overclock anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login