Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Disc Channel loading to be faster - is this possible?

Posted by SoraK05 
Disc Channel loading to be faster - is this possible?
January 30, 2009 11:18AM
I have a FlatMii, and have seen the difference between loading games from the FlatMii, and loading games using the Wii's DVD Drive.
Games generally load either much faster, slightly faster, or at the same speed as when using a Wii DVD game on the DVD Drive, depending on the game (and how it was programmed probably).
If I eject the ISO that is mounted in FlatMii, when I remount it the game goes back in within 2 seconds, as opposed to using the Wii DVD Drive which can take around 10-15 seconds or so.

However, in the Disc Channel, the loading and recognizing of the game disc takes the exact same amount of time - this makes me think that there could be some artificial loading times occurring.
I have no idea how to check the System Menu to see if there are such artificial sleeps, and to know where to patch it to remove such sleeps.

If anyone has any idea how to do this (and hopefully have a PreLoader patch that can accomplish this), it would be very cool :)
Re: Disc Channel loading to be faster - is this possible?
January 31, 2009 03:41PM
By nature, DVD drives are very slow, compared to the performance of other types of media. And the IOS drivers for the Wii DVD reader are not really the best too.

Also, both the drive and the System Menu takes some time to do the authentication of the media. FlatMii bypass the hardware authentication, so it's faster.
February 14, 2009 02:01PM
I was referring to the fact that the System Menu in particular is the only point in time where the extra speed given by FlatMii is null and void, and is the same speed as using the DVD Drive ordinarily - it makes me think that there is something like an artificial sleep while authenticating Wii or GC Discs in the System Menu / Disc Channel, which is kinda lame..
February 20, 2009 08:47PM
Hmmm, I thought you could only run FlatMii games using the Wii Menu... Is there some kind of homebrew-based launcher for it?

As for this reading delay, it's weird. But it does make sense. Booting a game from Gecko OS it's generally a bit faster than inserting the disc at the Wii Menu. But of course, this "delay" can also be just the time the Disc Channel uses to load the disc banner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2009 08:49PM by DanielHueho.
March 05, 2009 02:11PM
FlatMii can only run games on the Wii Menu :)

It emulates the DVD Drive, so will do whatever the DVD Drive normally does.. it just takes the same amount of time to initialize the Wii Disc inserted on the System Menu, as with a normal disc, but when the game has booted it loads faster.
I was wondering if there are artificial sleeps in the Wii Menu which force a Wii Disc to take a fixed amount of time to register, since I figure the FlatMii should take advantage of the extra speed and load faster in the Wii Menu, like it does when a game has booted..
March 08, 2009 10:15AM
Just wanted to say that after a bit more testing, I think I may have jumped the gun a bit, and I think the System Menu does actually load up the disc a little faster with the FlatMii than with DVDs, so there may not be so much of an artificial cap in there..
March 20, 2009 04:34AM
THE DVD IN A WII IS "SLOW A...F..."

theyre are "ttweaks" but not legally.

if you are looking for legal.

you just have to wait..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login