Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

WII LINUX URGENT

Posted by slipknot1213 
WII LINUX URGENT
August 10, 2012 06:04AM
so i installed whiite linux but how come everyone elses linux has like a gui like windows....how do i get linux so i can see it like have a start bar and bring up firefox plz help
Re: WII LINUX URGENT
August 22, 2012 10:51PM
Regular whiite does not come with a GUI. xwhiite does. But I can't think of any reason that you'd want to use either one anymore, now that there's Easy Wii Linux and Ubuntu Wii. Edit: I have since found out that there are many good reasons for choosing whiite.

If you successfully installed whiite, than you can very easily install Ubuntu Wii by following the same steps, just changing the filename after "sudo tar xjf" to the Ubuntu Wii one. The problem with Ubuntu Wii is that it is slow. It is a full installation that comes with everything Ubuntu Desktop (6.06.2) comes with, i.e. Firefox. It looks and runs very much like MS Windows, but it is slow.

Easy Wii Linux is easier to install, since you don't need to partition your memory card. Also the applications that are installed have all been hand-picked to use the least amount of memory and CPU time possible. So it runs much faster than Ubuntu Wii. It also features a GUI interface which is similar to MS Windows.
It comes with a simple web browser, dillo, but if you like, you can install Firefox (Iceweasel) using apt-get.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2012 10:59PM by q885.
September 03, 2012 07:42PM
What's wrong with this website? I can't post a new topic. It doesn't let me.
September 05, 2012 04:26PM
Khoraski
What's wrong with this website? I can't post a new topic. It doesn't let me.

Try ticking the box which says you aren't going to talk about WADs, cIOS etc. Also, please do not post completely unrelated stuff in other topics again, thanks.
September 10, 2012 02:29AM
slipknot1213
so i installed whiite linux but how come everyone elses linux has like a gui like windows....how do i get linux so i can see it like have a start bar and bring up firefox plz help

The Nintendo Wii is kind of underpowered for a modern destop like you seem to want.

I find whiite with links for a browser works well for when you're dealing with hardware with the low amount of memory Wii has.

Edit: didn't notice OP posted a mount ago at first. Just goes to show that you shouldn't base things on *newer* posts. >_>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2012 02:34AM by wiilanadapter.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login