Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2 Quick Wii-Linux Questions

Posted by aujakev 
2 Quick Wii-Linux Questions
January 21, 2010 07:46PM
I was thinking about installing Linux on my wii, but will there be a GUI like the PC distributions, and also can things like Wine ( I think that's what its called) to run (some, I know not all) normal windows programs? Thanks guys!
Re: 2 Quick Wii-Linux Questions
January 21, 2010 07:49PM
GUI - Yes
WINE - Definitely not, and never will be. It is not written for PPC processors.
January 21, 2010 08:30PM
Yay! GUI!

but IS there a way to run Windows on the wii using Linux, other than dos box?

and is there an IRC channel for help with Wii Linux?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2010 08:33PM by aujakev.
January 21, 2010 08:56PM
aujakev
and is there an IRC channel for help with Wii Linux?
#wiilinux on EFNET
January 21, 2010 11:37PM
And no, there is no way for you to run Windows apps/Windows in Wii Linux, nor will there ever be (probably).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2010 11:37PM by SifJar.
January 23, 2010 07:11AM
Hypothetically it should be possible to run wine through qemu and there by run a windows app, but with the wii's limited hardware I assume it would be dodgy and very slow.
January 23, 2010 01:11PM
You'd be lucky to run Notepad at a usable speed.
January 26, 2010 06:26PM
ok, that helped, one more question, can i use blue tooth to connect to my laptop's Network to sharefiles and stuff?
January 27, 2010 12:01AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth#Bluetooth_vs._Wi-Fi_IEEE_802.11_in_networking
Bluetooth vs. Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 in networking

Bluetooth and Wi-Fi have many applications in today's offices, homes, and on the move: setting up networks, printing, or transferring presentations and files from PDAs to computers. Both are versions of unlicensed wireless technology.

Wi-Fi is intended for resident equipment and its applications. The category of applications is outlined as WLAN, the wireless local area networks. Wi-Fi is intended as a replacement for cabling for general local area network access in work areas.

Bluetooth is intended for non resident equipment and its applications. The category of applications is outlined as the wireless personal area network (WPAN). Bluetooth is a replacement for cabling in a variety of personally carried applications in any ambience.
January 28, 2010 09:16PM
Linus, That didn't help at all... I have bluetooth on my laptop can i connect to my wii and make a bluetooth network?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login