Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Easy Wii Linux: Instant PC

Posted by linus 
Re: Easy Wii Linux: Instant PC
July 23, 2013 10:55PM
I tried in Ubuntu and gave up, what would the command be if the .img file is on my desktop and I'm extracting it to (G:) in Windows? I have a dd clone. I also found an ext2 manager for Windows.

Would it be easier to send the extracted files in a zip?
July 24, 2013 03:28PM
I'm uploading an archived filesystem now... shouldn't be long
July 24, 2013 03:53PM
July 24, 2013 04:15PM
Does it have to be ext2? I read that the Wii can't write to ext2. It also says my thumb drive is write protected under ext2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2013 06:06PM by nick141.
July 24, 2013 07:45PM
How am I suposed to load this on the Wii? It freezes up when I try to go to the USB drive.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2013 09:15PM by nick141.
July 24, 2013 10:48PM
You need two partitions on your sdcard (you can't do this with a thumb drive/usb drive without manually editing the kernel - it has to be an sdcard in the front slot of your wii)
The first can be fat16 or fat32 and needs to have been prepared for Bootmii (you should know how to do this).
Copy a kernel of your choice to this first partition (just like in the first post of this thread but don't use the easy wii linux kernel). I suggest you start with a standard Mikep5
The second partition needs to be formatted to ext2 - no, the wii system can not write to ext2 but the linux kernel can ;)
Extract the archive I uploaded to your second partition.
When you've done all that put your sdcard in your wii and boot into bootmii (any way you like) and choose the linux kernel elf from the sdcard.
It should boot into Easy Wii Linux.

BTW, I'm doing all this in an attempt to HELP you. Your replies seem to be lacking in gratitude. Just saying...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2013 10:52PM by fishears.
July 25, 2013 03:32AM
Thank you, you have bean a big help.

I'm still stuck though, I don't know how to create two partitions in Windows or Linux (Ubuntu Live Disk) and be able to access the second partition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2013 03:32AM by nick141.
July 25, 2013 09:09AM
Try to follow this instructional video on how to partition an sdcard with Windows - there's a link in the description to the partitioning program used.

This guide describes how you can mount ext2 drives in Windows - with read/write access.

Should be all you need. Good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2013 09:10AM by fishears.
July 26, 2013 10:01PM
I'm using Mikep5 to boot ext2, what is the command to bring up X Server?

I tried typing X, this is what happened:

/tmp/.X11-unix has suspicious ownership (not root:root), aborting.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2013 10:39PM by nick141.
July 27, 2013 10:27AM
hmm... Looks like the file permissions were not preserved when you extracted the archive. What program did you use to extract it?
July 27, 2013 01:24PM
I had to use sudo chmod 777 to gain permissions in Ubuntu. I used the default archive manager in Ubuntu.
July 27, 2013 08:33PM
nick141
I had to use sudo chmod 777 to gain permissions in Ubuntu. I used the default archive manager in Ubuntu.

OK. You need to extract the archive as root. So in a terminal type "gksu nautilus" which will launch the file manager as root. Then browse to the archive. Then open it and extract to your SD or right click and choose "extract to"...
That will keep all the permissions as they should be. You should now be able to get into X.
October 04, 2013 07:47PM
Is this safe for Wii U?
October 13, 2013 06:18PM
Has anyone tried a USB wireless N interface with this? I installed aircrack and reaver today on it for some testing, but there's not much you can do since most people no longer use b/g.
January 13, 2014 04:39AM
I downloaded and installed Chromium browser via apt-get, but now where do I go to open it? There is icon and no search to find it.
January 14, 2014 12:48AM
tittybullshitty
I downloaded and installed Chromium browser via apt-get, but now where do I go to open it? There is icon and no search to find it.

If you want icons and full menus, then you need Ubuntu. If I'm not mistaken, Debian does not add icons automatically. Ubuntu does.

If you just want to launch Chromium, open a Terminal and type the following:
export DISPLAY=:0
chromium &
I should mention that I haven't tried this. I figured I'd just give you something off the top of my head. And I'm only assuming that the executable name for Chromium is chromium. If it's not, then I don't have any other guesses what it is.

If this doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll mess with it myself to figure it out for you.
January 15, 2014 12:09PM
the binary for chromium is chromium-browser
January 15, 2014 01:13PM
Haha. Thanks. I never would have thought of that!
June 16, 2016 06:38AM
I spent like an hour or so the other night trying to track down a mirror of the linux.zip file (the others, like the .elf file, are still on that Google Drive link) to no avail. But I contacted Linus on YouTube (of all places) while this forum was down and he put up a new mirror! Here's the address:
[mega.nz]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login