Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's the diff. Between gecko and ocarina?

Posted by Jigsb007 
What's the diff. Between gecko and ocarina?
March 07, 2012 10:39PM
Experts,
I am new to homebrew stuff. I have install home brew on my wii and using backup games thru externall HDD. Everything works good. Now I am trying to install cheat codes for my games and got confused between gecko and ocarina .

My question is , do I need both in order to use cheat codes? One of the YouTube video I found was showing how to turn ocarina for the game. Just turn it ON and download cheat codes directly to your SD card and that's it. You are done , now you can use those cheats with game

Now, in this case, do I have to load gecko os to my wii and down load cheat codes as .txt file and then convert it using code manager on the computer and then save it to my codes folder onSD.

Are these 2 different methods? Do I need any one of it? Or what ever I am doing to get cheat codes is right?

Please help me to understand. If that's the case then why do we need gecko? Which one is better?

Thanks
Re: What's the diff. Between gecko and ocarina?
March 07, 2012 11:07PM
Ocarina was before Gecko OS supported cheats, the cheats in Gecko OS are just the Ocarina cheat engine integrated into Gecko OS. In other words, use Gecko OS. You'd have to go through all the exact same steps to get cheats working with Ocarina.
March 07, 2012 11:51PM
Thanks for your reply.
But I found ocarina more user friendly , as u don't have to do any steps with computer . Simply select the game and ocarina will download cheats and creat the file in sd card automatically. Right?
March 08, 2012 12:09AM
No. Like I said, the steps are the exact same.

There is a piece of software, of which I can't recall the name right now, that runs on the wii and downloads codes for use with either ocarina or gecko without need of computer, but neither has the functionality built in. And that app cannot itself apply cheats, it only downloads them for the others.
March 08, 2012 05:19PM
Yes, it downloads in wii, and then u open the game settings and it will show all the cheats it has found and downloaded. That's it, now you simply mark all or the one you need and you are with cheats. What it does in background, it crates the .GCT file based on what cheats you have selected and place that file in SD card's cheat folder...correct?
March 08, 2012 10:20PM
You are not describing Ocarina right now. ALL Ocarina will do is apply the GCT that is already on the SD card. It cannot download codes or manage which codes are enabled in the GCT.

The app I was thinking of was Accio Hacks [wiibrew.org] This tool will do what you describe - download codes and format them correctly into a GCT. But you will still need to use Gecko OS to apply them (or Ocarina - either will work because they work exactly the same)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login