Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installing vWii Homebrew on WiiU 4.0 (GUIDE) And What to Do/Expect Afterwards

Posted by WheatThins 
Installing vWii Homebrew on WiiU 4.0 (GUIDE) And What to Do/Expect Afterwards
October 04, 2013 08:31AM
If an admin or mod reads and likes this, please pm me. I need your confirmation on whether or not I can link a certain homebrew application(s) capable of dumping NAND and mode keys while we wait for bootmii support

*THIS IS A VERY ROUGH POST AND WORK IN PROGRESS. I WILL FORMAT/OPTIMIZE IT LATER.*

Hello! If you are reading this guide, chances are there is some step along the way of installing Homebrew on your WiiU that has stumped you. This is a comprehensive guide to the methods I took to install Homebrew, and a few applications. It will be updated accordingly as I experience more errors.

This is more of a congregation of links and explanations of said links than a fully fledged guide.

*NOTE* I am not liable for any bricks this may cause. All homebrew is done at your own risk.

=====================================================================================

Contents:

A] Installing Homebrew on WiiU 4.0
>I. Downloading Required files
>II. Exploit
>III. What Happened to Bootmii?

B] Installing applications
>I. NAND Dump Without Bootmii ADMIN/MODERATOR CONFIRMATION REQUESTED
>II. Homebrew Browser
>III. Importing/Downloading Other Hombrew Applications

C] Supplementary Information
>I. Known Bugs
>II. Unresolved Issues
>III. Final reading

D] To be added later, likely as A]
(An overview of WiiU update 4.0, whether it's worth updating to, and important threads that address issues not covered here)

=========================THREAD VERSION 0.5=========================

A] Installing Homebrew
>I. Downloading Required Files
If you are already familiar with how to complete the initial steps of Homebrew, or cannot locate Hackmii, here is the download. [bootmii.org]

Read and follow steps 1-4 here, subbing the exploits for those in step II. [www.wiibrew.org] or alternatively, http://tinyurl.com/setuphb This is the same link as the previous, but shortened and good for linking to friends.

Ignore the portion about Bootmii, see step III.

>II. Exploit
Only the exploits listed here are currently working for vWii: [wiiubrew.org]

I personally recommend one of the Lego Games, as they are likely to be cheaper (about $15 at Gamestop) than Brawl. I used Lego Batman for this installation. Make sure not to grab the sequel of the Lego game (e.g. Lego Batman 2) unless there is an exploit for that specific game.

Follow their respective guide(s) by clicking their link(s). Make sure you use an SD card and not an SDHC card, as the Wii does not support SDHC for wii saves. [wiibrew.org] is a jumping off point for seeing if your SD card is supported, however the page was intended for Wii and not vWii so results will likely be mixed.

I installed using a 2GB Toshiba SD card purchased from Gamestop. It's a very slow card, and you have to ask the person behind the counter for one, they aren't on the shelves. They're about $3. They're intended for the PSP or Wii/DS according to staff I spoke to.

>III. What happened to Bootmii?
Bootmii required the use of boot2 which is not accessible in vWii. See Step B] I.

What does this mean for you? Essentially, until a Bootmii solution is made, you are installing Homebrew at your own risk with no official means of unbricking it. Of course, if you follow the guide this should be a non-issue.

B] Installing Applications
>I. NAND Dump Without Bootmii
There are alternative methods for dumping the NAND (the primary action of Bootmii, necessary for unbricking vWii should you fail somewhere along the line) which I will not link until an admin/mod confirms with me that they are ok to use and compliant with the ToS (I have a limited understanding of the implications of certain Homebrew applications.)

>II.Homebrew Browser
The latest dl link for Homebrew Browser is located here [wiibrew.org]
It is installed in four easy steps.

1.) Extract the rar file with winrar, 7zip, or any other file manager to your sd card
2.) Create (if not already created) a folder titled apps in the root of your sd card (where boot.elf is located)
3.) Find the folder named Homebrew Browser version (current version) which should have the boot file and .xml and .png inside for Homebrew Browser.
4.) Place this folder in apps, delete the rest as it is not needed (unless you are an advanced user, or wish to read the .txt files.)

When you put the SD card in your Wii, Homebrew Browser should now appear in your Homebrew Channel. Congratulations! You may now install Homebrew apps directly and easily from a trusted repository! PLEASE see step C for very important bug information!!

>III. Importing/Downloading Other Hombrew Applications
Most Homebrew apps should in theory work on the vWii. You can import the applications you have installed on the Wii straight to your WiiU's SD card. If you want to be extremely safe or do not trust yourself to follow these steps correctly, please refrain from importing your apps, and instead redownload them from their source (likely the Homebrew Browser.)

If you would however like to import your applications, copy the root folder of each application you want to import (located in the root of your SD, the first menu you see when plugging your card in to your computer/reader. Same location as boot.elf) and paste it to your WiiU's SD card in the same location.

Next, enter the apps folder on your Wii's SD card and copy the folder for the application there to the apps folder on the WiiU's SD card.

Do not do this for any application that modifies your Wii/vWii in any way. The results are untested (at least by me) and are not confirmed to be safe. Download anything you are unsure of from the source, and always research an application before attempting to put it on the vWii.

C] Supplementary Information
>I.Known Bugs

Update 4.0 forces Homebrew Channel to run in 4:3 (Letterbox, two black bars on screen) every time it is launched.
This is believed to be caused by the vWii reading it as a VC game. This can reportedly be solved by using a custom forwarder for the Homebrew Channel, but is not recommended for it could potentially brick your wii. It is recommended to instead wait for an update to Homebrew, and accept 4:3 for the time being.

Please use the below fix, or wait for the next Homebrew update

SifJar
tueidj
Tiny app to disable the letterbox mode: [www.tueidj.net]
Download, extract the zip, inside there is a directory called "aspect_fix"; copy that into the "apps" directory on the root of your SD card, then load up HBC and you'll see the "Aspect Fixer" app. Run it, HBC will reload and the aspect ratio will be fixed (until you next load HBC from the System Menu). That allows you to use any homebrew apps you want in 16:9.

Wiimote becomes unpaired on vWii crashes
If for whatever reason your Homebrew crashes, it is possible that your Wiimote will no longer be synced to your WiiU. This is solved by unplugging the WiiU, rebooting, and resyncing your Wiimote. The WiiU gamepad will not be affected, even if you are viewing the vWii session on the Gamepad.

Homebrew Browser Crashes on Initial Run
On the first run of Homebrew Browser, you will get an error message if you allow the zip file temp full of thumbnails completely download and extract. I have no idea why. This will lock up vWii, and can be solved by deleting the temp folder inside of the ~/apps/homebrew browser/homebrew version#here/temp and reloading Homebrew Browser again from vWii. It will then appear to crash the way it did before, but enter the Homebrew Browser instead. The app thumbnails will now download in the background, and you can view their progress accordingly. The third (and all future times) you run Homebrew Browser, this error will not occur. Alternatively, you can choose to skip this bug causing step by holding B on the first run. It is not known if this solves the issue or only delays it, as I had only one WiiU to test this on.

The WiiU does not boot in to Wii mode when I hold B at startup!
This is not a bug. This is a result of having a password on the default user. Frankly, I wish it would still let you reach the vWii and require a password only when returning to WiiU, but I don't make decisions for Nintendo.

>II.Unresolved Issues
Exiting Homebrew Browser sometimes crashes vWii. Reboot, and possibly pair your wiimote again. This has only happened to me while downloading the thumbnails for apps. See above bug.

>III. Final reading
This was all performed on a WiiU Deluxe 32GB Zelda Bundle Edition.

I will update the guide accordingly with comments left below or pms made to my inbox. I do not usually hang out in IRC, but if you need help visit irc.efnet.net #wiihelp on your favorite IRC client.

As I continue to use Homebrew on the WiiU and as updates continue to come out, I will try to maintain this guide. I look forward to being part of the Homebrew community (this is my second post!) and am excited to see what can be done with this console!

The official tinyurl for this thread is http://tinyurl.com/setupwiiuhb
Alternatively, this is the link given in IRC http://goo.gl/W1vB16

Edited 27 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2013 04:57AM by WheatThins.
Re: My Install of vWii homebrew (Wii U 4.0), and how you can replicate it
October 04, 2013 10:06AM
Reserving one post in case there's a character limit, or if a separate post is needed for organization purposes.
Re: Installing vWii Homebrew on WiiU 4.0 (GUIDE) And What to Do/Expect Afterwards
October 04, 2013 12:36PM
Don't bother with the NAND dump stuff, it's useless anyway since it doesn't backup all the required metadata (file ownership, permissions etc.) and can't be restored.
Re: Installing vWii Homebrew on WiiU 4.0 (GUIDE) And What to Do/Expect Afterwards
October 04, 2013 04:12PM
It is safe to use that one app you posted on the thread I made or should I just wait for an official update?
October 04, 2013 04:18PM
Why would I post an unsafe app?
gravira
It is safe to use that one app you posted on the thread I made or should I just wait for an official update?

I don't know whether the app is safe or not. I'd wait for an official update, but if a mod or admin pms me (and I show them the app) and they ok it I'll include it in the thread. Until then I'm not linking it, but saying that a nand backup and dumping the keys to decrypt/re-encrypt it are both possible. Potentially this could help unbrick in the future I guess, when a legitimate solution does come out. At least, that's my understanding. I'm new to all of this, and don't really understand everything still.

Disregard the above, I misunderstood which app was being referred to, and to whom the question was being asked (tueidj)

tueidj

He is referring to my reply to his thread regarding forced 4:3 by the vWii after the 4.0 update. I suggested a custom channel forwarder for HBC (which I didn't link because I wasn't sure of the legality) that I've seen works for users with a bit of Googling. I'll link it if it gets the ok.

However, I have no idea if forwarders are stable or safe right now, so I'd just wait for the update.

Disregard the above, this has been resolved and I was mistaken again, about an entirely different app. Wow... twice in one post.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2013 05:00AM by WheatThins.
October 04, 2013 08:32PM
WheatThins
He is referring to my reply to his thread regarding forced 4:3 by the vWii after the 4.0 update. I suggested a custom channel forwarder for HBC (which I didn't link because I wasn't sure of the legality) that I've seen works for users with a bit of Googling.
You never posted a reply in his thread.
tueidj
WheatThins
He is referring to my reply to his thread regarding forced 4:3 by the vWii after the 4.0 update. I suggested a custom channel forwarder for HBC (which I didn't link because I wasn't sure of the legality) that I've seen works for users with a bit of Googling.
You never posted a reply in his thread.

My mistake entirely. I seem to have forgotten which thread I replied to. I could've sworn it was in that thread, but looking back on my post history I'm incorrect. It must have been another forum or something. I'll update this guide accordingly to include your fix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2013 04:50AM by WheatThins.
October 09, 2013 03:13AM
tueidj

Please excuse me. Thank you for posting the app btw.

Thank you WheatThins for the thread.
November 03, 2013 04:06PM
Hi.
Tried to install HBC using yu-gi-owned! exploit.
Hackmii installer runs but stops saying there's no iOS to patch.

Using Toshiba 2GB SD card. Tried formatting to Fat16 and fat32.

Here is my log:

HackMii v1.0 installer starting up
PVR = 00087200
running under IOS 58 rev 0x1920
42 titles are installed
Found IOS 9: revision: 0x50a.
Found IOS 62: revision: 0x191e.
Found IOS 59: revision: 0x2221.
Found IOS 58: revision: 0x1920.
Found IOS 57: revision: 0x181f.
Found IOS 56: revision: 0x171e.
Found IOS 55: revision: 0x171f.
Found IOS 53: revision: 0x171f.
Found IOS 48: revision: 0x111c.
Found IOS 46: revision: 0xf17.
Found IOS 45: revision: 0xf17.
Found IOS 43: revision: 0xf17.
Found IOS 41: revision: 0xf17.
Found IOS 38: revision: 0x111c.
Found IOS 37: revision: 0x171f.
Found IOS 36: revision: 0xf18.
Found IOS 35: revision: 0xf18.
Found IOS 34: revision: 0xf18.
Found IOS 33: revision: 0xf18.
Found IOS 31: revision: 0xf18.
Found IOS 28: revision: 0x80f.
Found IOS 22: revision: 0x60e.
Found IOS 21: revision: 0x50f.
Found IOS 17: revision: 0x508.
Found IOS 15: revision: 0x508.
Found IOS 14: revision: 0x508.
Found IOS 13: revision: 0x508.
Found IOS 12: revision: 0x30e.
Found IOS 2: revision: 0x222.
Found IOS 80: revision: 0x1c20.
launching IOS 58 for the installer...

IOS launched...

IOS versions: Installer: 58, HBC: 0
starting preparations

device id: NG2410008f
installing BootMii/IOS
ISFS_Delete failed (-102)
failed to install BootMii/IOS for the installer (3, -102)
preparations done!

This installer can NOT continue!

There is no usable or vulnerable IOS installed on this Wii.
Please note that we will not use fakesigned IOSes due to
security reasons. Only unpatched versions will be used!

Read the FAQ at: http://hbc.hackmii.com/faq/
Look for an updated version at: http://bootmii.org

If this is already the latest version... well, suck it.

Thank you.
November 03, 2013 07:00PM
You're using an old version of the HackMii Installer (v1.0). Latest is v1.2. Get it here: [bootmii.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login