Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No more widescreen

Posted by gravira 
No more widescreen
October 01, 2013 05:11AM
I just updated my Wii U with the 4.0 update. It was just released today. I was on the Wii mode earlier today and homebrew was running just fine with widescreen support. I started the channel again after I downloaded the update and the screen has gone back to 4:3 aspect ratio. Before you ask, now I didn't tamper with the ratio settings.

Can anyone else check to see if they have this problem as well? Is there anyway to manually change the aspect ration other than console settings? Thanks for your help.
Re: No more widescreen
October 01, 2013 05:28PM
I can confirm this as well. Some people mentioned that they installed the hacks after the firmware update and it worked fine, that HBC 1.1.2 had 16:9, others mentioned that those who already had the HBC got a forced 4:3 screen. Oddly enough, using forwarders seems to circumvent the issue, which is baffling that it works that way and not through the HBC. Will there ever be a fix for this, is it safe to re-install it via vWii mode?

I hope this is the right place to ask about the future of HBC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 05:29PM by nintendo_nerd85.
October 01, 2013 05:41PM
Edit: Oh goody, seems they pinpointed it! :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 09:16PM by nintendo_nerd85.
October 01, 2013 06:21PM
The aspect ratio issue is caused by Nintendo actually figuring out how their hardware works and forcing 4:3 letterboxing for certain VC platforms when a widescreen mode is being used, and HBC's title ID starting with "L" (same as Master System VC). It's a one line fix to re-enable fullscreen mode, but there's a lot of other voodoo and magical incantations that need to be done for a HBC release.
October 01, 2013 06:30PM
nintendo_nerd85
I doubt the mods read these threads anyway. Call me negative, but there has got to be some way to get their attention.
Of course the moderators (e.g. me) read the threads. But not all of us have the power to actually do anything about it. I, for one, certainly have nothing to do with development of HBC. However, people like tueidj (who obviously also read the thread, seeing as he posted above) are involved with HBC development etc. and can get stuff done.

Anyway, if you want a more direct method of contact with devs, you can use IRC: [wiibrew.org]

#wiidev would probably be the most appropriate place for this sort of discussion, although obviously from tueidj's post, the devs are aware of the issue and it'll presumably get fixed sooner or later. As it is, it's not an extremely major issue, so it's not particularly urgent for it to be fixed.
October 01, 2013 06:33PM
Edit: No, we're not going to recommend use of that app here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 06:53PM by tueidj.
October 01, 2013 06:55PM
ooops my bad, didnt think about it being a loader.
October 01, 2013 07:14PM
tueidj
The aspect ratio issue is caused by Nintendo actually figuring out how their hardware works and forcing 4:3 letterboxing for certain VC platforms when a widescreen mode is being used, and HBC's title ID starting with "L" (same as Master System VC). It's a one line fix to re-enable fullscreen mode, but there's a lot of other voodoo and magical incantations that need to be done for a HBC release.

That makes a lot of sense. Is there a method you can recommend to implement that one line fix in the mean time before (if and when) HBC is updated? Also, you mentioned in another forum that the next HBC update would likely include your WiiU ProContorller patch. Is that still the case?
October 01, 2013 09:24PM
SifJar
nintendo_nerd85
I doubt the mods read these threads anyway. Call me negative, but there has got to be some way to get their attention.
Of course the moderators (e.g. me) read the threads. But not all of us have the power to actually do anything about it. I, for one, certainly have nothing to do with development of HBC. However, people like tueidj (who obviously also read the thread, seeing as he posted above) are involved with HBC development etc. and can get stuff done.

Anyway, if you want a more direct method of contact with devs, you can use IRC: [wiibrew.org]

#wiidev would probably be the most appropriate place for this sort of discussion, although obviously from tueidj's post, the devs are aware of the issue and it'll presumably get fixed sooner or later. As it is, it's not an extremely major issue, so it's not particularly urgent for it to be fixed.

Hmm....I probably used the wrong IRC channel when I used efnet, but I'll keep that in mind the next time we encounter a homebrew-related error. Also glad that the error isn't that big per se but that there will be another HBC in the near future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 09:24PM by nintendo_nerd85.
October 02, 2013 08:20AM
Tiny app to disable the letterbox mode: [www.tueidj.net]
October 02, 2013 07:54PM
Awesome! Thanks for this. Spreading the word where I can.
October 03, 2013 08:16PM
tueidj

How do I use this on my SD card? Do I just put all the files on the card?
October 03, 2013 10:30PM
gravira
tueidj

How do I use this on my SD card? Do I just put all the files on the card?
Download, extract the zip, inside there is a directory called "aspect_fix"; copy that into the "apps" directory on the root of your SD card, then load up HBC and you'll see the "Aspect Fixer" app. Run it, HBC will reload and the aspect ratio will be fixed (until you next load HBC from the System Menu). That allows you to use any homebrew apps you want in 16:9.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2013 10:31PM by SifJar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login