Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sniffing bluetooth between the wiimote and console

Posted by nlindig 
sniffing bluetooth between the wiimote and console
February 05, 2009 09:20PM
Has anyone had any luck finding the bluetooth MAC address for their wii console (not the wireless address you can get through System Info)? I'm trying to sniff the connection between wiimotes and console during normal play. The idea has been mentioned a few times, but I haven't seen anything working.

"hcitool scan" finds the wiimote fine, but I haven't had any luck picking up the console. I've tried pressing the sync button and disconnecting/reconnecting wiimotes from the home menu... neither seems to work.

So far I've figured out...

1. we can't get the console bdaddr's from a wiimote (via [abstrakraft.org])

bluetooth accessible eeprom is exactly the same [before and after pairing with the console]. This means the wii console address is stored some where else, maybe in the bluetooth chipset?

2. brute-force scanning of MAC addresses (with Nintendo's manufacturer code) is probably impractical - 16^6 possibilities. In principle you could use RedFang to just scan the addresses but it would take a few months.

3. reconstructing the MAC address by listening in on a single bluetooth channel might work, but it looks like you need special hardware (BlueSniff: Eve meets Alice and Bluetooth).

4. Wii-Linux looks like it comes with hciconfig... so you could, in principle, install the HomeBrew channel, run Wii-Linux and then get at the bdaddr that way. Has anyone tried this? It seems like the most promising route.
Re: sniffing bluetooth between the wiimote and console
February 05, 2009 10:54PM
16^6 is only 16,777,216 possibilities... and most likely, it wouldn't be the LAST on tried...

if someone could code an app to try and force it, we could all do a few numbers

haha, if you read an old idea I posted once, you'll see I'm a fan of brute forcing...
February 11, 2009 02:12AM
Ha! It's totally impractical! It takes at least 1 second per guess (since you have to wait for the traffic to pass through the right channel). With ~17 million possibilities it looks like it would take ~193 days.

I did however try my other idea. I got wii-linux running and got the bdaddr that way. But I'm still not getting any packets from my sniffer - not quite sure what the problem is. I'll try again tomorrow.
February 11, 2009 03:07PM
193 days, divided up between several volunteers, maybe 10 or so... brings it down to around 20 days! not to bad...
February 13, 2009 01:13AM
Well... if anyone is following this - after figuring out the bdaddr for the console (Twilight Hack > HBC > wii-linux > hciconfig). I can successfully sniff the connection between a wiimote and the console using Frontline's software. So far It seems like everything is unencrypted. Here's a dump of the initial handshake if anyone is interested (WMWC_090212_auth.cfa). It might be useful for spoofing a wiimote or doing MITM. It's in Frontline's format, which is a bit irritating - no luck yet using csr_sniffer.
February 13, 2009 01:15AM
and, DrLucky... I know you like brute-forcing, but installing linux and running hciconfig is just so dang elegant! It took all of an hour!
February 13, 2009 01:46AM
nlindig
and, DrLucky... I know you like brute-forcing, but installing linux and running hciconfig is just so dang elegant! It took all of an hour!

ah, well, an hour beats 193 days divided by whatever any day! congrats
February 14, 2009 03:08AM
nlindig,

Great work. I see you think that we might not be paying attention to your talk but we read the articles, I just haven't found any good spot to comment yet.
June 16, 2009 08:52PM
Nlindig,
Any more progress on this? I was just thinking about how I could try to do something similar, or find someone to help do this. I'd love to understand what happens when you press the power on button on the balance board (or wiimote I guess).
June 18, 2009 09:22PM
Hey esteimle, I've been taking a bit of a break from this... but I might start back up soon. The dump that's posted above is as far as I've gotten. "That"'s what happens when you push the sync button on the wiimote! Just a matter of duplicating it.
March 18, 2010 06:42PM
Have you had any farther success with this? I sent you a PM with a link to a topic I started on a problem that it sounds like you might have some good insight on.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login