gx2gl problem
March 16, 2009 10:13AM
I am trying to use the gl2gx lib to port some stuff using openGL but everything I do compile with gl2gx is giving me core dumps, even the gl2gx examples.

I'm using the latest version of libogc and devkitPPC and did recompile the library but the problem is still there.

I just would like to know if I'm the only one with this problem (then the problem would be in my setup) or if there are known workarounds for it to work ?

Bruno
Re: gx2gl problem
March 16, 2009 11:37AM
I havent tried that lib, but I have gotten code dumps for stuff I wouldnt think I'd get a dump for. Make sure you arent passing global variables in function parameters and that you are using good clean coding practices. If all else fails, you could try posting your code.
March 16, 2009 02:07PM
Thanks for your answer, the fact is that even with the 5 included examples I do encounter the same problem.

As the code of the library as not been updated since last july I will check the libogc changelog to see the changes (mainly to GX) that could have caused the problem and try to update the version of gx2gl accordingly.

Bruno
March 16, 2009 04:49PM
I tried the lights example and it crashed. I tried the example in material.zip and it runs fine. The code dump for the crash showed only lwp_* functions on the stack. Maybe the other examples crash with more useful traces. I only tried the lights and material examples.

Michael
March 16, 2009 05:50PM
Yes I think that the examples don't work anymore.

I would love to see this library updated some more! Think of how many games could be ported if the GL library was more complete :) Does anyone know if this project is dead?
March 16, 2009 06:15PM
Thanks Michael,

I do have the same conclusions, material is working but not the other five examples.

I did manage to do some tests but the GL functions are far from complete and a lot of work has to be done to port GL to GX.

Scanff : the autor said that the development has been put on hold, and nothing has been updated since last summer.

Bruno
March 16, 2009 08:00PM
The crash in the light example is happening because gl2gx is trying to call the user defined idle function, which in the example is never defined. The workaround is to define an idle function. In the light example I added this line before the call to glutMainLoop():

glutIdleFunc(Display);

gl2gx could check for a NULL idle function to prevent this from happening. I didn't try this fix with the other examples, but I'd be interested to know if they still crash. BTW, the light example itself was very dim on my TV.

Michael
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login