Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about porting libs

Posted by RazorChrist 
Question about porting libs
April 03, 2009 06:52PM
Hey all, I was just wondering how difficult it would be to get Blitz3d working on Wii? The SDK for Blitz comes with compiled libs as well as the source for those libs, and I would love to port it over myself, but I have no clue how to start porting a lib over.

Reason I'm asking is because I'm looking for a decent 3d engine for my game, and I'm already pretty familiar with how Blitz works. Plus, the game I'm working on for Wii is pretty much finished in Blitz3d. If I could figure out how to use the Blitz C++ lib on Wii, I'd be set.

I have the SDK if anyone is interesting and wants to take a look.
Re: Question about porting libs
April 03, 2009 07:32PM
Blitz 3D is not open source. The lib's are compiled binaries. Based on this it's impossible to port it.
April 04, 2009 09:31AM
If I recall correctly, the blitz basic family is compiled for real. This makes it even more difficult to port, since the Wii uses a different instructionset for the CPU.
April 04, 2009 02:57PM
Damn....well of course they wouldn't make it that easy. Oh well, so much for that idea. I guess I can try to get the code ported over to gl2gx and see how well that goes. Spanish tutorials suck tho.
April 04, 2009 06:57PM
Just a warning but the gl2gx port is not very stable or complete.
April 04, 2009 09:22PM
scanff
Just a warning but the gl2gx port is not very stable or complete.
Yeah I noticed, been trying to use tutorials from NeHe, and they don't really work. I was looking at the Ogre rendering engine...looks nice, but haven't found a tutorial on how to use it with DevkitPro. I did find some tutorials on the syntax tho, so I might look over those and see what I can do.

If anyone knows how to set it up to use DevkitPro, let me know. I'd rather not download Visual C++.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2009 09:22PM by RazorChrist.
April 04, 2009 10:14PM
I think the Ogre engine is another port that's very early in development for the Wii and does not do much. It's being ported by someone in this community and not the official Ogre3d team (I think).

To be honest with you the best solution is to use GX. Yes it kind of a pain to learn yet another library but it's really to only stable usable option for 3D right now. It works well and I've done some simple 3D stuff with it.
April 04, 2009 10:39PM
Since Blitz3d uses Blitz Basic, I've been wondering if it couldn't be converted to C using BCX-Basic? Has anyone used that before successfully? Just trying to get some ideas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login