Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Newbie questions about the environment

Posted by midihead 
Newbie questions about the environment
April 12, 2009 07:23PM
To let you know where my level... I just built got the Hello World to run from Homebrew channel, fun. I think my questios might be very specific for devkitpro though... for now.

1. Do you have to use the c/c++ to create wiibrews? My daytime job is as a .net developer in VB and C# so c/c++ seems a bit abstract to me. I see that there are other Languages in a drop down box in devkitpro.. what does that do? I would of coude like to code in VB since that's what i'm most familiar with.

2. Where do I find documentation about classes and stuff? There's no code hinting?
Re: Newbie questions about the environment
April 12, 2009 09:50PM
since you do .net for a living you should know that they are proprierty languages and so it would be pretty difficult to use that to compile wii apps

visual basic sucks anyway, c# is alright but seems too ... strange for me. since C and C++ are similar in wording to C# why not choose C to start with and move on to C++.

Also, documentation was hard to get for me as well i suggest to start at [www.codemii.com] and work through them to get a grasp on wii homebrew, while you are at it go look at some C/C++ reference sites via google.
April 12, 2009 11:21PM
Nah, go for c++ directly and skip c, it's boring.
April 13, 2009 08:02AM
Actually steelslasher, it is possiblee to use C# for wii apps... but that's if you buy the pro version of Unity (http://unity3d.com/unity/features/wii-publishing) and create a "real" WiiWare. Then you can script that engine with c# and then compile and port to Wii. I friend recently did it for an iPhone game... but i understand that's not the case with devkit then... seems C++ have finally caught up with me and it's time to learn:). Thanx for the CodeMii link.
April 13, 2009 02:47PM
Yeah but who really has the time to go through applying to be able to make games on a wii
April 13, 2009 07:19PM
Those who are prepared to spend money to make money.
April 13, 2009 07:41PM
just cause its homebrew doesnt make it completely unsellable, there's always that loophole in nintendo's EULA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login