Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Project collab?

Posted by mavakadachi 
Project collab?
April 25, 2009 05:16PM
Does anyone want to collaborate and write a library with me?
Re: Project collab?
April 25, 2009 05:29PM
Details? Any?
April 25, 2009 05:57PM
yeah sure lets make a library that can emulate windows 7 on the wii! lol

just joking maybe some details would help
April 26, 2009 08:27AM
EMULATE LOL!
ok so what i was thinking was some low level functions to do basic things like allocate a texture, fill a screen (and maybe a texture) with a solid color, things you would find in SDL (except all the audio stuff). We can make it use SDL as a backend then switch to GX when we have enough code. I been trying to switch between textures in GX and i failed (i'll post code soon).

Then have some higher level code which will load freetype (or w/e) and generate some text to put on these textures, load images, etc. Since it higher level we could have the same low level interface implemented on PC (opengl? or sdl until we get a GX implementation) and test against that before running on wii.

Then as a SEPARATE part (which means optional to use) we can have a sound library that does the basics. I'm not sure if it should be low level or high level but we should have at least build up to a point were we can do simple things like init, loadSound/music, play, pause, stop unload. If we have a low level impl we can have allocate buffer, init sample rate, etc/ w/e.

Input i dont know if i want to do but i am sure someone would want to have code that runs on PC and wii that can use basic keyboard and joystick functionality

someone could possibly write a gui system (alike libwiisprite or grrlib) with all the high level gfx functions. The idea would be to have the code run on wii and pc so we can debug on PC and perhaps limited enough so we cant do stuff on PC that isnt available on wii (i guess we could use a #define in that case)

All of this would be in C++, full classes which throw exceptions. I know some ppl prefer C but i think that is insanity and can argue why C++ would be as good or better. This is coming for a guy who developed in strict C for 2+years (i had to use c++ and other languages in 6+years, like vb6, python, ASM etc). I use to prefer C but now i like c++ much better (and c++0x more then that).
April 26, 2009 06:41PM
Sounds like an ambitious project! How does this differ from what's already out there?
April 26, 2009 07:11PM
Tantric: Not really. Its just more organized with some work.
Examples of what i want to do exist already, theres multiple libs that can load their image, one that can draw text, etc.
The idea is to strip out anything app or lib specific. But theres more to it.

How does it differ? It would be easier to port or cross compile. If i wanted to port SDL who knows what we need to recode or implement on the wii. Theres probably a lot of stub functions (i have no idea actually, maybe in SDL case there isnt?). Theres sound tied with it, input, some endian and thread code, etc (There is a CD part, thats probably stub or doesnt exist, stub is bad, doesnt exist is better). With this, we only need to compile or port the individual modules which are clearly defined.
April 26, 2009 07:38PM
Wouldn't it be more helpfull to improve the documentation of the current libs?
April 26, 2009 08:09PM
I still don't understand what you're trying to do. Reinvent SDL? SDL is intended to be portable - if we improve the Wii SDL code, it will apply to any and all projects out there using SDL.
April 27, 2009 09:23AM
Tantric
I still don't understand what you're trying to do. Reinvent SDL? SDL is intended to be portable - if we improve the Wii SDL code, it will apply to any and all projects out there using SDL.

With SDL the problem is it wont let us do anything with 3d hardware. But theres more to it, if i didnt want to use SDL i cant easily drop in specific modules. I wrote up a GX test and i wanted to load an image. I couldnt simply use SDL_Image, i had to find another module for it.

What i am thinking is just a more modular version of SDL. I wouldnt mind using SDL in the backend. I would like to write a few interfaces that we can agree on and write code (or use existing code or existing libs) to implement them.
April 27, 2009 11:54AM
If you want to be different, I have a defunct audio library if you want it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login