Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

To SDL or not to SDL?

Posted by borbzz 
To SDL or not to SDL?
April 27, 2009 07:53PM
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of porting a game (StepMania) that makes heavy use of SDL (mostly for joystick input). I am trying to determine if it would be better to keep the SDL-dependent code and attempt use the Wii version of SDL, or if I should totally gut out all the SDL code and use libogc.

So how mature/stable/reliable is SDL on the Wii? Would I save myself some headaches by avoiding it? Thanks!

-borbzz
Re: To SDL or not to SDL?
April 27, 2009 08:02PM
I just looked at the source this morning and it looked good to me. The last i used SDL it was stable and was months ago. I actually havent found a SDL bug (or missing feature). But then again i didnt try and use simple application. I'll be running more test this week.
April 27, 2009 08:56PM
There's lots of things missing from Wii SDL.

For joystick input, I would suggest rewriting those portions, since you may want wiimote vs classic controller vs nunchuk control schemes.
April 27, 2009 10:00PM
Tantric
There's lots of things missing from Wii SDL.

For joystick input, I would suggest rewriting those portions, since you may want wiimote vs classic controller vs nunchuk control schemes.

That's what I was leaning towards too. I'll see how much work it will be when I get closer to implementing the input classes (Right now, I'm still in the process of stripping out all the OpenGL/SDL/Alsa/OSS/Vorbis/etc stuff!)

Thanks for the advice!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login