Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Insight

Posted by arasium 
Insight
May 20, 2009 09:45AM
Hi everybody,

I've a question about tha capabilities of insight. I currently used a patch of libogc to allow debugging using Wifi instead of SDgecko. I've succesfully connected to my homebrew but i can' t add watchers to my variables.

So, my question is how can I add a watch to a variable?

For information, i use the .elf to load the source code into insight (i don't use the download option when i enable the remote connection) but I run the .dol on the HBC (using Wiiload).
Re: Insight
May 20, 2009 05:48PM
Insight never worked for me either... for anything... for any platform. Besides, I'm a windows programmer so I'm used to the msvc debugging interface.

When I toyed with psp homebrew, I used the debugging interface in eclipse which would connect to the gdb server running on the psp. You could do the same with wii debugging. Nowadays, I just use command line gdb to poke variables.

actually, if you want to learn how to use eclipse ... follow this: [forums.ps2dev.org]

Now this is for the psp, but when you install eclipse, the CDT, and the debugger all you have to do is just tell eclipse that you're using powerpc-gekko-gdb instead of gdb, and your wii's ip address:8000 (or whatever your port selection is)

Hope that helps, any questions? ask away

oh, and I'm not preaching eclipse. I don't even use it anymore. I just think insight blows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2009 05:57PM by MrPeanut.
May 20, 2009 09:03PM
Okay,

i will try Eclipse! If i succeed, i will put my results here!
I will also have a look msvc!

thank you
May 21, 2009 03:31AM
Well I use msvc to write my code, not debug it. You can't use msvc to debug your code since you can't select a debugger in it. Sorry if I confused you.
May 21, 2009 11:27AM
No, i've edited my post when i've realized that msvc = Visual Studio! But my edition hasn't been recorded :)

I've succeded to compile with Eclipse, but i still have problems to configure the debugger! So i will come back with other questions :)

Thank you Mr Peanut
May 22, 2009 10:08AM
Ok, so i've succed to attach the debugger to the remote process but i still can't see variables content. I've an error with something like that:

"Can't find symbol myVariable"!!

PS: I use wiiload to send the homebrew to the HBC. I don't know if this can be a reason of the bug.
May 22, 2009 02:36PM
did you compile your program with -g in the cflags, and -O0?
May 23, 2009 12:22AM
Are you using the patches from here? [forum.wiibrew.org] I would love to use eclipse for Wii development, although currently it's a tossup between eclipse, emacs/CEDET and notepad++. The main problem I felt was that eclipse feels too clunky for C and it doesn't seem to do autocompletion properly. Any tips on setting up eclipse?
May 23, 2009 07:37AM
Yes, i use this patch. For eclipse, i don't know. I think you need to specify the libogc header folders (c:/devkitpro/libogc/include...) somewhere in eclipse.

for my flags, i use this:

CFLAGS = -g -O2 -Wall $(MACHDEP) $(INCLUDE)
CXXFLAGS = $(CFLAGS)

LDFLAGS = -g $(MACHDEP) -Wl,-Map,$(notdir $@).map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2009 07:39AM by arasium.
May 23, 2009 01:31PM
Finally, I have Eclipse autocompleting, compiling and debugging my wii code.

@Arasium
The -O2 flag may be messing with your debug build, possibly.
Edit: Have you set up the symbol file?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2009 01:47PM by PhoenixTank.
May 23, 2009 03:28PM
Yes, it's the O2 thant i need to transform to O0!

But i've a bug with Vista on Eclipse !!! Wich version of eclipse do you use?
May 23, 2009 09:46PM
Well, I'm using XP, but I just grabbed this build from the download site I think that is Eclipse 3.4.2 & CDT 5.0.2
Depending on the bug, Arasium, it may be worth updating/clean installing Java.

I may write up a guide on the long and frustrating process I had to go through to get this working.
May 24, 2009 07:44AM
That would be awesome, anxiously awaiting your guide :D.
May 26, 2009 12:58AM
Early stage of the guide, and may not tell you anything new yet, but you'll be up and compiling at least by the end of this version of the guide.
Setting up Eclipse for Wii Development
Add any suggestions/questions to the talk page please.
May 26, 2009 10:12AM
Hi,

finally, i've succed to configure Eclipse! All is working. I've replace all the toolchain with devkitpro tools (i've also replace the elf parser etc... to have a better compatibility).

Phoenix, if you need some help, you can contact me (arasium .... googlemail.com)! I'm trying to create a plugin to create a new C/C++ project type (with the toolchain autoconfigurated) and your guide will help me to check if i've not forgotten something.

thanx for your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login