Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Low efficiency for libfat in large file, how to improve it?

Posted by pcfree 
Low efficiency for libfat in large file, how to improve it?
May 30, 2009 08:08AM
I'm developing a new app -- RealWnW to restore NAND image. I know there is BootMii now, and it seems nobody need another NAND writer. I write it for fun and also due to BootMii still incompatible with my SDHC.

I do many pre-programming analysis to prevent things go wrong. This requires frequently calling fseek() +fread() to NAND image of (512+16) MB in size. It seems libfat does not cache enough FAT entries so as to be very very low efficiency for fseek() in large file. To solve it, first I tried to keep tracking of the file pointer by myself and call fseek() with SEEK_CUR instead of SEEK_SET. This helps little. I guess even using SEET_CUR also cause the libfat to calculate absolute pointer and seek from file beginning. Then I split image file as 16 smaller sub images. This greatly reduces analysis time from 2~3 hrs to only 20 mins.

Anyway to improve fseek() efficiency w/o spliting files? For example, to increase FAT tables cache or to patch libfat to do relative seek calculation but not absolute seek calculation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit 1:
I think I've found some related function. I should use fatMount() with larger cache instead of fatMountSimple() to try if it helps. Hope the libfat keep more cache for FAT entries than data contents.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit 2:
How to know the default cache size so I can increase it to try?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2009 09:24AM by pcfree.
Re: Low efficiency for libfat in large file, how to improve it?
May 31, 2009 06:19AM
First question, are you trying the latest libfat from devkitpro SVN?
May 31, 2009 08:45AM
I used Win32 devkitProUpdater 1.5.0 released at 9 May 2009 to install my tools chain. I guess It should be new enough.
May 31, 2009 09:56PM
No. Download, make, and make install the latest libogc and libfat from SVN.
June 02, 2009 03:37AM
Thank! The newest SVN greatly improves FAT access. However, I still have to split image file because the new SNV also greatly reduces smaller sub image access.

Some results for my analysis time are provided as reference:
old Lib + one large image: too long and I break it, estimated 39min*4 = 156mins
old Lib + 16 subimages + tracking file pointer = 850 secs.
new Lib + one large image = 1017 secs.
new Lib + 16 subimages + tracking file pointer = 116 secs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login