Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Compiling Libraries for the Wii... what's involved?

Posted by tribasic 
Compiling Libraries for the Wii... what's involved?
June 16, 2009 07:42PM
Hi,

I wanted to know if anybody knows how to port libraries to the Wii.

I would like to have the MikMod or D.U.M.B. library ported over, so I can play .XM, S3M, .MOD and others on my Wii. I've been trying to port both these libraries, but so far... no success :(

I'm interested in knowing what the process is for doing this. If someone could give me some tips, or point me to some tutorials or something, that would be awesome! Or if a port of the MikMod or DUMB libraries exsists, that would be even better!

Thanks!!

Tribasic
Re: Compiling Libraries for the Wii... what's involved?
June 16, 2009 09:06PM
I don't know all the details, but I think this link might help you learn how libraries are compiled in general. [lessfaq.wordpress.com]

Basically, libraries are just packages of object (.o) files. I think you could start by trying to compile the library with powerpc-gekko-gcc instead of gcc and see if it works, although there's a good chance that it won't. You could try using the devkitpro template makefiles to edit the library's makefile, eg. put a CC = powerpc-gekko-gcc somewhere, change the library paths and whatnot. Hopefully that can help you get started; I'm also sort of looking into the same thing so I happened to find that article which clears things up a little bit.
June 16, 2009 11:32PM
Thanks for the quick reply!! The link you posted looks like a great place for me to start!
June 17, 2009 11:52AM
If I recall correctly, mikmod has a a design flaw where you can't access the decoded audio. Instead, it directly writes to the sound output api. However, there is no such code in mikmod for the Wii platform, so one way or another, you need to hack it up. But in the end, it will still have the issue of not being able to play more than one song at a time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login