Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SDL ttf question

Posted by andersers 
SDL ttf question
July 26, 2009 09:11PM
Hi

I have made a simple application, that counts how many times you press the A button, and writes it on the TV using sdl and sdl_ttf . Unfortunetly it only works for about 3 minutes, then SDL writes:

SDL_SetError: Out of memory
SDL_SetError: SDL_UpperBlit: passed a NULL surface

Read source here

I would like to know what I have done wrong.

Thank you
Re: SDL ttf question
July 26, 2009 10:01PM
Probably done nothing wrong. But don't rely on a surface to be created, it can sometimes fail. Try this :

scoret = 0;
scoret = TTF_RenderText_Solid( font, buffer, textColor );
if (scoret) apply_surface( 200, 20, scoret, screen );

July 26, 2009 10:20PM
Thank you very much, it helped somewhat. Now SDL only writes

SDL_SetError: Out of memory
July 26, 2009 11:08PM
Obviously there is a memory leak somewhere. I don't know the API, but to me it looks like you keep getting handles/pointers from TTF_RenderText_Solid, but you are never releasing them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2009 11:10PM by henke37.
July 26, 2009 11:17PM
Strange, it does not look like memory is leaking. I've used TTF_RenderText_Blended before and there does not seem any problems with it. Try :
scoret = 0;
scoret = TTF_RenderText_Blended( font, buffer, textColor );
if (scoret) apply_surface( 200, 20, scoret, screen );

Also what SDL version are you using?
July 26, 2009 11:48PM
I'm using sdl version

http://sdl-wii.googlecode.com/files/SDL%20Wii%2005-13-2009.zip
http://sdl-wii.googlecode.com/files/SDL%20Wii%2005-13-2009.zip
05-13-2009

TTF_RenderText_Blended( font, buffer, textColor );
gives the same error.
July 27, 2009 12:20AM
The only thing different I do in my projects is initialize SDL to 24bit. I've never tried TTF with 16bit.
July 27, 2009 12:29AM
by "initialize SDL to 24bit" you mean the bitsperpixel in SDL_SetVideoMode, right?

I tried changing the value to 24, but it still fails.
July 27, 2009 06:13PM
I'm not sure what the issue is. Unless there's a leak I'm not seeing your code should be working fine.

My only other suggestion would be to use the latest SVN SDL version (that's what I use). It just means you'll have to get and build the libogc SVN, replace the libraries in the libogc dir with the new ones, get the SDL SVN build that and replace the SDL libs.
July 27, 2009 06:42PM
scoret is a SDL_Surface pointer which obviously is allocated when you call the TTF_ function
from what I remember, SDL surfaces are internally allocated using SDL_CreateRGBSurface (former SDL_AllocSurface) which itself do some malloc (s)
Obviously, if you are calling this in a loop without freeing the surface, you will most likely run out of memory sooner or later. This is probably what's happening here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2009 06:44PM by ekeeke.
July 27, 2009 06:43PM
A quick google on the function quickly explains that it returns a pointer to a new surface. And the surface is not freed for you. And you are not freeing it either. That's what I call an obvious memory leak.
July 27, 2009 07:05PM
It seems that you are right ekeeke and henke37. I added
if(scoret){SDL_FreeSurface(scoret);}
in the loop just before the rendering, and now SDL makes no errors :-)

Thank you very much to you all!

By the way, before i read your solution i made my own system that can write 3 digit numbers to the screen. What a waste of time :-P At least it was fun writing, hehe.
July 27, 2009 07:10PM
henke37
A quick google on the function quickly explains that it returns a pointer to a new surface. And the surface is not freed for you. And you are not freeing it either. That's what I call an obvious memory leak.

lol, how did I miss that, nice catch. After looking over my coded I noticed I am calling SDL_FreeSurface (luckily)
August 04, 2009 03:51PM
scanff
The only thing different I do in my projects is initialize SDL to 24bit. I've never tried TTF with 16bit.

I am initializing SDL with 16bit but there is no difference in this with 24bits

Problem is that you estinguish Wii's memory and SDL cannot load aditional data

I made this func:
bool ReloadImage(SDL_Surface* &imageSurface, char* fileName)
{
	SDL_FreeSurface(imageSurface); // free surface if it is not NULL
	imageSurface = NULL;
	imageSurface = load_image(fileName); // load new image - function from SDL tutorial
	return imageSurface == NULL ? false : true;
}
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login