Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Detecting the language settings

Posted by DrTwox 
Detecting the language settings
November 14, 2008 11:45PM
Hi everyone.

Is there a function call in libogc to return the language settings for the Wii? WiiMP supports multiple languages via a user changeable option, but I'd like to automatically select an appropriate string translation file (if one exists) at startup. Note: I don't mean the J, U or E regions! Thanks.
Re: Detecting the language settings
November 14, 2008 11:54PM
Yes there is!
Just call CONF_GetLanguage();
Return values correspond to these languages:
0 - Japanese
1 - English
2 - German
3 - French
4 - Spanish
5 - Italian
6 - Dutch

Have fun!
November 15, 2008 12:01AM
Thanks for the speedy reply!
November 15, 2008 01:45PM
Does anyone know if these are these the only languages that are supported by CONF_GetLanguage()?

I was thinking about using it to autodetect instead of having a language selection screen in Mahjongg Wii, but I also support other languages - Portuguese, Hungarian, Swedish, Finnish and Catalan which are not on the list above.

I also did a google search for CONF_GetLanguage() and on a Hungarian site it used it with different results where 0 means English and 1 means Hungarian. This looks like the get language function changes depending on other settings - region? zone? A french site had a tutorial that used area[ CONF_GetArea () ] to get one of this list (but still only had one set of languages):

char * area [] = {
"JPN" ,
"USA" ,
"EUR" ,
"AUS" ,
"BRA" ,
"TWN" ,
"ROC" ,
"KOR" ,
"HKG" ,
"ASI" ,
"LTN" ,
"SAF" ,
};

Maybe depending on the area the supported languages change?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2008 01:46PM by JustWoody.
November 15, 2008 05:04PM
AFAIK Nintendo only uses the 7 languages listed above:
They've been using English and Japanese for ages, French and German since the SNES and Dutch since the Wii days. (Do not know when they started doing Spanish and Italian).

I am 95% positive, that Nintendo Of Europe's localisation team does not do Portuguese, Hungarian, Swedish or Finnish.
None of their big Titles does. Only a few support Dutch.
I am also very positive, that no other big publisher does those languages.

Therefore I think, that the list above is complete for Wiis sold in Japan, America, Europe and Australia.

Can anybody tell me anything about the Korean Wii's language options?
November 16, 2008 10:30AM
They had italian and spanish in the GC.
November 16, 2008 02:59PM
henke37
They had italian and spanish in the GC.

And in the GBA days. Do you knwo if Nintendo did translate SNES games to Italian or (european) Spanish?
November 16, 2008 11:27PM
Yes I know for a fact that those are the only languages supported by the Wii (Korean Wii probably also has Korean, most likely as a return value of 7)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login