Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SDL MAME Wii

Posted by codelayout 
SDL MAME Wii
January 05, 2010 06:02PM
I was trying to get some games going (golden axe 2), but were soon hit by the "out of memory" problem. Can someone tell me how memory is allocated in this app? Are both memory MEM1 and MEM2 being utilized? If not, would it be possible to link with a customised version of malloc that does the memory management of the 2 regions?
Re: SDL MAME Wii
January 07, 2010 11:34PM
ok. I've now linked it with the latest version of libogc (which should allow MEM2 to be used by malloc?), but its still seems to be running out of memory. :-(
Is there a way to verify this is the case? something like sbrk(0) in atexit?
January 15, 2010 05:00PM
anyone?
January 16, 2010 06:40AM
SDL MAME Wii is compiled with devkitPPC r19, so the emulator is already using MEM2 when MEM1 runs out, but even that's not enough for mainly two reasons.

1. The executable is big because MAME is a big program. Most of MEM1 is probably already taken up by executable code. I could make a lot of specialized builds to trim down on the size, but those won't solve issue 2...

2. MAME uses a lot of RAM. Even old games can easily top 64MB of RAM, because from what I gathered, MAME loads everything from the ROM into RAM at once when loading a ROM, and because MAME strives for accuracy, optimization isn't always there, especially in regards to RAM usage. (For example, Street Fighter can't load because during initialization it tries to allocate space for a 64MB bitmap, which I can only assume stores all of or a big chunk of the game's graphics.) Fixing this would require a major rewrite of a lot of MAME's core code, which I have neither the time nor the patience to do.
February 01, 2010 03:33AM
I know the push is to use newer versions of MAME, but... In order to get smaller sizes and perhaps better performance (since the MAME team focuses on emulation accuracy, games run more slowly to be accurate - Donkey Kong is very slow on my Wii).... Is there any feasibility in basing SDL MAME Wii on perhaps an old version of MAME (0.36).

I love this project, though! Thank you for it!

-Howie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login