Javascript JVM available?
December 14, 2008 07:13PM
Hello everybody,

Is there a JavaScript JVM library (*.a) for Wii Homebrew scene available. If so, migrating existing java script games to the Wii would be really easy. This will open a complete new world of possibilities ;-}. If there is nothing available. Who will help me to migrate Mozilla SpiderMonkey (http://www.mozilla.org/js/spidermonkey/) to the Wii platform. Looking forward to your reactions?

To download my developed Wii Homebrew please visit: [members.tele2.nl]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2008 07:56PM by wplaat.
Re: Javascript JVM available?
December 14, 2008 07:24PM
Did you really need to post this twice? :-(
December 14, 2008 07:44PM
Sorry for that. But what is the correct forum for this question?
December 14, 2008 07:51PM
If you're not sure and it relates to Wii Homebrew, the Homebrew General is the best place. Worst case is that a mod will move it to the correct board
December 14, 2008 07:56PM
ok, thanks for the advise! How can i remove a wrong post?
December 14, 2008 10:16PM
PM a mod asking them to remove the wrong post.

On topic: Nothing is available for a javascript library right now. Good luck porting. I don't think its technically possible (since its a language meant for web browsers specifically to read) but its at least worth a shot.
December 15, 2008 07:29AM
Arikado, your claim has been proven wrong by the fact that the Opera channel does too support JavaScript. It isn't impossible, it's just stupid.
December 15, 2008 08:34AM
It's definitely not impossible, but I think what he's trying to say is that without a browser porting just Javascript is a waste of time. However, the mention of JVM makes me think maybe he meant writing a JVM for the Wii? That would be decidedly not useless, but probably a huge pain and not worth it.
December 15, 2008 08:47AM
iofthestorm
IHowever, the mention of JVM makes me think maybe he meant writing a JVM for the Wii? That would be decidedly not useless, but probably a huge pain and not worth it.

Go back and reread the first post. It explicitly refers to JavaScript.
December 15, 2008 11:25AM
iofthestorm
is that without a browser porting just Javascript is a waste of time.
Not necessarily, you could use it as a scripting language in a game to script weapons, AI etc.. Just because the web is the common place for JavaScript does not limit it to such
December 16, 2008 01:56AM
bushing
iofthestorm
IHowever, the mention of JVM makes me think maybe he meant writing a JVM for the Wii? That would be decidedly not useless, but probably a huge pain and not worth it.

Go back and reread the first post. It explicitly refers to JavaScript.

I know that, I just thought maybe he was confused about the difference between Java and Javascript, and meant to say Java, since Javascript does not use the JVM. And I was thinking without a DOM Javascript would be useless but I didn't realize you could use it as a scripting language for other parts of a game.
December 16, 2008 08:04AM
I've been thinking about Javascript as a game scripting engine too; are there any good open-source interpreters that aren't limited to a select few platforms? Or is another language better for this?
December 16, 2008 08:31AM
@HyperHacker: It depends on what you want from a scripting language. Unreal Tournament uses a full object orientated language where you can subclass other objects (make a weapon based upon another etc.) and that is used for nearly all content in the game. However, at the other end of the scale, you could have a simple case based AI "IF player is doing this THEN do that", in which case JavaScript would cope. It's down to preference and requirements.

I've not looked for any, but have a search on [SourceForge.net] You might find one that you can port easily.
December 16, 2008 09:26PM
Oh never mind, I see that he mentioned TraceMonkey specifically so he's definitely talking about Javascript. Hmm, sounds interesting then.

I was making my assumption from this post. But umm, without a DOM web based javascript games wouldn't work anyway, and I don't think there are many Javascript games to begin with. I am now completely confused about this post, and am going to avoid it for the sake of my sanity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2008 09:30PM by iofthestorm.
December 18, 2008 06:29AM
If you need lightweight low-memory overhead scripting in a game, check out LUA. Its very easy to compile and link into any program. And its time-tested and proven, having been used in many commercial games.

On the topic of a JVM (Java Virtual Machine) I had considered working on a port of JamVM. But the bigger task would have been getting Gnu Classpath (a free class library to replace sun's) to build. And while that's not javascript, there is a javascript interpreter that was written entirely in Java. But LUA is a much better choice if you're not writing a web browser :-)
December 20, 2008 02:45AM
Good to know. I didn't realize LUA was still in use today. Maybe I'll just use that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2008 02:45AM by HyperHacker.
January 06, 2009 05:48PM
henke37
Arikado, your claim has been proven wrong by the fact that the Opera channel does too support JavaScript. It isn't impossible, it's just stupid.

Opera CAN run javascript, I'm on wii mote so ain't gonna type any out, but if in doubt send me a pm and I will knock up something quick in js that you can host online and test yourself.

I've got a few things I'm doing and some use js in opera. Yes I know opera reports errors "sometimes".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2009 05:50PM by Slimmmmmm.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login