Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MLlib seems to be old (searching replacement)

Posted by iSubaru 
MLlib seems to be old (searching replacement)
April 28, 2010 04:49PM
Hello there
Long time no see
I have tried recently resuming my Wii programming but no matter what I still get code dump screens, I have latest MLLib (24 December 2009 o_O) and latest DevkitPPC and libogc (plus few other libraries including dependencies of MLLib)
I take wild guess it is just incompatible with latest DevkitPPC and libogc so I would like to ask if there is other easy to use library which I could use? I want create for now something simple with use of Wiimote, some PNG graphics (animated frames but still 2D), maybe some MOD/XM sounds and keyboard through USB or on screen one as extra
Is there such one? Well I can start with Wiimote and simple graphics as warm up after all

Thank You for advance thousand times and have a nice day

iSubaru
Re: MLlib seems to be old (searching replacement)
April 28, 2010 05:40PM
Here is the list of framework libraries: [wiibrew.org]
April 28, 2010 06:15PM
Well I'm aware of that list but I'm confused a little which one of them (not counting MLLib of course) would be easy to use even if would offer for example only simple graphic operations, I just don't have enough mind power to learn about difficult libraries, I try my best but it's not easy in the end :(
So...which one of them shall I try?

Thank You for responses and spared time

iSubaru
April 28, 2010 07:27PM
Here is your choices:
* GRRLIB
* libwiigui
* libwiisprite
* SDL Wii

Do you prefer a C or C++ library? If you don't want to program in C++, then the list is smaller.

Check this topic for more information: [forum.wiibrew.org]
April 28, 2010 10:19PM
Use GRRLIB. I used MLLib as well and am now migrating to GRRLIB for my applications. I have to rewrite a bunch of things (a sprite/coordinate) mapping system, but GRRLIB offers a benefit of allowing texture composition (essentially texture buffer drawing).
April 29, 2010 02:22AM
I also use GRRLIB and I find it very easy to use if you do not require complex construction. I have used it for all kinds of 2D stuff including displaying backgrounds, displaying sprites, displaying animated sprites. GRRLIB supports transparency although it does not have routines for Fine Collision detection (i.e. checking actual pixels in the images to see if non-tranpsarent pixels have collided) but the routines were not that hard to add using the GRRLIB's GetPixel functions. Feel free to PM me if you would like a copy of my Fine Collision detection routines. GRRLIB also provides easy access to scaling and rotating your images.

Libogc (see the examples for Wii in the DevKitPro directory) has many of the functions that you indicated (MOD player, MP3 player, support for USB keyboard, file acccess to SD, etc).

One way to learn GRRLIB is to read the documentation that comes with the Trunk install. I found this a little dry and in some cases not so informative. What I mean is that it tells you all the data structures and functions that you can call but there seems to be a lack of detailed explanation for some of the function inputs or effects. An alternative way to learn some of the GRRLIB functions is to borrow what others have already discovered. I have a program called Wii Construction Set (not to be confused with Wii Game Studio) which basically allows the user to select images, create objects and use a Pseudo code type of language to create their project (using a graphical GUI environment). Then WCS translates all the Pseudo code into regular c code with full comments. Thus, one way to learn some of the GRRLIB basics, is to create a sample project in WCS and then look at the resulting code to see how it is translated into c code using GRRLIB. You can even use the empty WCS project as a template since it already implements a fairly good object system and routines for handling animation automatically. If you are interested the program is currently in its Alpha Release and can be downloaded from:

[wiiconstructionset.hopto.org]

This is also the location of the forum which you can post WCS related questions/comments. The forum requires registration but it is free registration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2010 02:24AM by LordAshes.
April 29, 2010 02:30AM
Thank You all for kind responses :)
Guess I will try GRRLib then, I don't have much to rewrite since it was on one project beginning per big B and on other was some kind of porting from DS project so nothing lost...oh third project was from a scratch but as well not much coded
I will try WCS too, oh and I will PM You LordAshes if anything will come up about it :)
But first things first, it's late here so no matter what I must get some sleep first to "THINK" efficently tomorrow ^_^ then I will start "fight" with understanding GRRLib a bit...heheh finally Wii Programming resurrection plan

Thank You all once again for advance and have a nice day/night

iSubaru
April 29, 2010 08:35AM
No problem...If you are a descent programmer then you probably will not stick to using WCS to make your applications...but as I said, it can be used as an Introduction To GRRLIB Basics. Since the code is commented (including the Pseudo code commands that you add as the user) it will quickly teach you how various things are done in GRRLIB. Then, for the fine details, you can consult the documentation.

BTW, I am going to be on vacation for the next two weeks starting Saturday so I may not be able to answer your questions until I get back...I don't know what my access to internet will be while I am away. The manual that comes in the WCS download should explain most things. Make sure you read the Installation instructions since they are not comepletely straight forward.

Good Luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2010 08:38AM by LordAshes.
April 30, 2010 12:01AM
I'm middle good at DS programming but still new to Wii programming, it's way diffrent from DS one in many aspects like background and sprites displaying (they had to be in while(1) or they would not appear o_O)
I will try WCS and try to learn for now by myself, I don't want to ruin Your vacations :P it will be nice test for me if I can manage something like GRRLib with WSC ^_^
Have a good time spent and stay safe
Time to coding ;]

Best regards and once again thank You

iSubaru

EDIT #1
One more thing, kind of bug found
When You click Sign Up with empty fields it sort of logins to empty account or something
"Welcome back"
But without username typed

EDIT #2
Another bug(s) but I will report them to PM this time I guess...

EDIT #3
WCS Studio part runs fine on Linux after installing VB 6 Runtime ^_^ I'm going sleep for now but tomorrow I will continue playing with it heheheh, good night

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 02:40AM by iSubaru.
April 30, 2010 04:54AM
iSubaru
EDIT #1
One more thing, kind of bug found
When You click Sign Up with empty fields it sort of logins to empty account or something
"Welcome back"
But without username typed

Thanks I will look into that. I still need to add a lot of bullet-proofing to the site. Right now it runs okay (as far as I tested) but it still lacks a lot of error checking and bells and whistles. Again, I am waiting to see if I get some users before working on this project because otherwise it would be wasted effort.

iSubaru
EDIT #2
Another bug(s) but I will report them to PM this time I guess...

Thanks. Any bug you find are appreciated. As I said, I tested it using a few user names but there might be cases that I did not think of or maybe browser dependent bugs. So if you note any bugs please tell me about it.

iSubaru
EDIT #3
WCS Studio part runs fine on Linux after installing VB 6 Runtime ^_^ I'm going sleep for now but tomorrow I will continue playing with it heheheh, good night

Cool...I wrote it for Windows based PC so I am happy to hear that it can be (apparently failrly easily) ported to Linux.
Bug in WCS Studio
April 30, 2010 06:29AM
LordAshes, go to Direct C Code, double click on Import File. When the dialog box appears click Cancel. The apps generate an error:
Run-time error '75':

Path/File access error
And when you click OK, it close the software.

EDIT:
When you click on Cancel on any Save or Load dialog box it generate an error.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 06:34AM by Crayon.
April 30, 2010 01:55PM
Thanks guys...obviously I am not trapping for the Cancel button on my dialog boxes.

I will fix that as soon as I get back from vaction (approx 2 weeks).

I really appreacite all this bug locating.

Although you might just want to PM, e-mail or IM me (OndrejBlazek [at] MSN [dot] com) with bugs that you find so that we don't over use this forum for software specific issues. I also have a Forum at wiiconstructionset.hopto.org but I have had one report of a user having problems using it. I have tested it myself and I don't see any of the problems that were reported so it might be a browser dependent issue. I used IE8 with JavaScript enabled and it worked fine for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 02:00PM by LordAshes.
Forum problem
April 30, 2010 02:53PM
You have some HTML problem on your forum, the code for blank space requires a ; at the end, so it's  
not &nbsp
On Firefox you see: &nbsp2 Posts

I think it's a real bad idea to write black text on a grey background. I just can't read it.
April 30, 2010 04:45PM

Thanks. Any bug you find are appreciated. As I said, I tested it using a few user names but there might be cases that I did not think of or maybe browser dependent bugs. So if you note any bugs please tell me about it.
The most funny thing is I usually don't try to find bugs...they find me...aaah!

Cool...I wrote it for Windows based PC so I am happy to hear that it can be (apparently failrly easily) ported to Linux.
Well, Visual Basic 6 can be run without much problems because I can put required libraries in program directory or install while Run-Time to Wine as did this time :P
But it's only Studio tested for now, the second part still awaits but if that's like only recompile pseudo code or something like that, then I guess it will go fine too, I try Studio and mess with images, I will check documentation in a minute or two and try to make it more serious heheh :P

...so that we don't over use this forum for software specific issues...
Whoops right, sorry sorry ^_^"

I used IE8 with JavaScript enabled and it worked fine for me.
That's some rare issue :D

Aye, agreed with both, on grey background I suggest a bit more light colour...cyan maybe?
May 05, 2010 03:02AM
Thanks for the input...I will address these items when I return from vacation.

I am surprised about the black on gray comment...on my monitor the gray is almost white so there is a strong contrast for me but obviously not for all...I will address it. Thanks.

I will also recheck my HTML under Firefox. Under IE8 it seems to work fine without the mentioned display problems...but many people do use Firefox...so I will recheck it with Firefox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2010 03:04AM by LordAshes.
May 13, 2010 09:15PM
If you ever encounter any code dump with my library, email me or post an issue on Google Code... I can't make my lib better or more stable if I have no feedback...
Anyway, next release should be in the first two weeks of July. Sorry if I don't update it regularly but it's not my priority since I have other projects and before everything else: school.

Since MLlib is an open-source project, everybody can contribute to the project and make it better. But sadly nobody helps.
May 22, 2010 04:04AM
Well it's not easy to describe problem more detailed then "it starts and bang code dump" if that would be at least in some part with some part working, but no, that's why I felt hopeless, plus last update was about half of year ago without any info so that worked bad on my faith :P
I don't say "throw away school" but at least small note could make things go better because we would all know You still continue project just You are little busy
I can post what I know on codegoogle issue page as said earlier it won't be anything but pure non informing facts and suspects :(

"Since MLlib is an open-source project, everybody can contribute to the project and make it better. But sadly nobody helps."
I'm not that big pro at coding to be able to help in such project, I wish to but I would quicker screw up something than improve :(
May 22, 2010 01:49PM
It's strange you got code dumps... Did you use TTF fonts ? If so, I can understand. It's the only unstable part of MLlib.

Thanks anyway :)
July 10, 2010 03:26PM
Sorry for long delay
Finally vacations time and I can code at 200% enhancements
I have installed about 1,5 month ago new Fedora release, recopied whole devkitpro bargain (bargain ahaha) and tried compiling two examples from MLlib...guess what, they compiled (MP3 from buffer and MOD from buffer), also I have sent them through wiiload (which I had suspection may be failing part as well) but...they worked without errors...I feel shame, it all goes to the point that I made some funny mistakes in coding that caused Code Dumps...but that part will be checked in a minute or two, I must check if I still have that source code or not :P

End of report

iSubaru

EDIT #1
Oh I have noticed that source of MLlib has changes made :) I will read them and update if it will be safe teehee

EDIT #2
I have tried to recompile and run mine code and still code dump...Hmmm I will try grabbing one of examples and add more and more lines from mine code to find out what's making it hang...come on...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2010 12:21AM by iSubaru.
July 13, 2010 01:32PM
I have found out something, the thing that is broken are sprites itself...but I do not know what can be wrong, I will post information about all three sprites I tried to load

nothing.png 320 bytes 256colors PNG format 64x64 pixels
O.png 547 bytes 256colors PNG format 64x64 pixels
X.png 580 bytes 256colors PNG format 64x64 pixels

What can be wrong in them o_O
Minishlink.png in example loads correctly in Wii and it has 100x100 pixels, what is connection between them?
I don't recall some speciall requirements for sprites not counting that size must be multiple of 2...and 64 IS multiple of 2...so what the heck :(

Thank You for advance

iSubaru
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login