3D Object movement demonstration
July 10, 2010 03:45PM
Hello

I have little knowledge about 3D graphics and coding because I have never considered trying to use that (conservatism of simple 2D graphics ahaha)
I have that little problem that I do not know if I can overcome with just coding (and help) or there must be done something else here
Let's see what we have
I have downloaded an archive with Tails (from Sonic series games) 3D model, archive contained those files:
- Tails.obj
- Tails.mtl
- Tails.dae
- StgGreenhillTails_bodyA.png (looks odd but still image file)
- Thumb.db (for what kind of...?)

What I want to do is making simple demo of Tails "animation" similar to this one:

It doesn't have to be so complex and precise for start, but You probably know what I mean there :)

Thank You for advance

iSubaru
Re: 3D Object movement demonstration
July 10, 2010 08:45PM
iSubaru
- Thumb.db (for what kind of...?)
This is the cache of thumbnail images that represent larger images in a Windows folder. In other therms, this is crap.
July 10, 2010 11:00PM
Thumbs.db is the file that holds the "preview" for all of the pictures in a folder. This is a Windows thing and I hate it too. The quick solution is to copy everything out of that folder, delete the folder, and create a new one of the same name. Then, do NOT click inside that folder.

If anyone else has a superior solution to this, I would also greatly like to know. It drives me nuts.
July 10, 2010 11:03PM
Nah I have my own solution - delete file because I use Linux
But I mainly asked about 3D heh ^_^"
July 11, 2010 11:20PM
You can disable thumb generation in "tools->folder options"

For the 3D model, you need some kind of library to load and show it. It's usually not as simple as it sounds.
July 11, 2010 11:49PM
I think GRRLIB may be able to handle it...or SDL which I do not know...but let's say we have it loaded, can we manipulate with that object by commands to move it or not?
July 12, 2010 05:45AM
We did some test with GRRLIB, but we got into other stuff. If you want to look at the code, every thing is available in this branch: [code.google.com]
July 13, 2010 01:28PM
Eh...I do know that GRRLIB may be able to load 3D Object but I do not know if it can move it with just one object at certain position, I know very little about 3D I heard about some skelet system but dunno if it can work here, that's why I ask...
July 13, 2010 03:29PM
If you know very little about 3D then I suggest you start off on an PC, with something like OpenGL. There are a whole bunch of tutorials found here: [nehe.gamedev.net]

Skeletal systems mostly have to do with animations and 'attaching' objects to other objects (like a gun in someones hand)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login