Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to read discs?

Posted by awiiprogrammer 
How to read discs?
September 30, 2010 04:23PM
I want to know how to read the DVD's in the optical drive, I want to open it and run it.How?
Re: How to read discs?
September 30, 2010 04:31PM
That's a pretty general question so my best suggestion for you is to read through the source of existing programs that do this like WiiMC.
September 30, 2010 04:58PM
Arikado
That's a pretty general question so my best suggestion for you is to read through the source of existing programs that do this like WiiMC.

I have looked through NeoGamma's source but I still can't find out how. I also checked libogc headers and tried every DVD Function in di.h, no good news. I have no Idea what the functions do in NeoGamma.
September 30, 2010 06:57PM
uh... neogamma? what do you plan on doing cuz this may be a long trip off a short pier.

is it a coding experience problem (you don't know what the code is doing) or is it not understanding certain parts of the code?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 06:58PM by mdbrim.
September 30, 2010 07:35PM
What sort of disc are you trying to read, and what do you mean "run it"? Are you trying to boot a Wii game DVD? If so, I'd advise looking at TinyLoad, a very simple disc loader written by marcan, compiled its only around 4KB, so you can tell its simple. It is basic, so shouldn't have lots of useless functions to confuse you too much. If you're trying to write a backup loader, be prepared for a ban.
October 03, 2010 09:26PM
SifJar
What sort of disc are you trying to read, and what do you mean "run it"? Are you trying to boot a Wii game DVD? If so, I'd advise looking at TinyLoad, a very simple disc loader written by marcan, compiled its only around 4KB, so you can tell its simple. It is basic, so shouldn't have lots of useless functions to confuse you too much. If you're trying to write a backup loader, be prepared for a ban.

I am not trying to make a backup loader, I know it is against the rules.

I am trying to read normal discs, and yes I mean boot it from the optical drive. Any help on how to make it region free? Can someone give me another source for TinyLoad, I cannot extract the source file. Or just tell me the function.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2010 09:32PM by awiiprogrammer.
October 04, 2010 08:40PM
TinyLoad and Gecko OS are both region free, as is every other homebrew disc loader. They achieve this by simply not checking the region. The only reason System Menu can't load out of region games is it checks the region before loading it, negating to perform this step, as in homebrew disc loaders, makes disc loading region free, so it is actually LESS work to make a region free loader than a region locked one :)
October 08, 2010 04:59PM
Can you just tell me the function for reading the disc?
October 08, 2010 05:13PM
I don't think there is one function that will boot a disc. AFAIK, you need to open the partition 0 on the disc, read the TMD, reload to the correct IOS, load the apploader into memory, then run it. This is of course a highly simplified and only vaguely accurate representation of the process. Look in depth at the source of Gecko OS to see how complex running a disc is, and to see how to do it.
October 13, 2010 12:01PM
SifJar
I don't think there is one function that will boot a disc. AFAIK, you need to open the partition 0 on the disc, read the TMD, reload to the correct IOS, load the apploader into memory, then run it. This is of course a highly simplified and only vaguely accurate representation of the process. Look in depth at the source of Gecko OS to see how complex running a disc is, and to see how to do it.

I have had a look at Tiny Load's source code, and yeah it seems pretty tricky. I don't know what most of the code does so could someone please explain it to me?
October 19, 2010 01:43PM
I suggest you learn more C/C++ and then try and boot the disc. You are attempting to do something that I would never do unless I had a good understanding of how the wii works. Try some simpler stuff first, booting a disc is very tricky, not that it is impossible.
October 19, 2010 01:44PM
Ok then, thanks for your help guys!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login