Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is overall development slowing down?

Posted by Titmouse 
Is overall development slowing down?
July 30, 2011 10:47AM
Is it just me or is activity in the wiibrew development slowing down.
Silly question; but does anyone have any idea how many more years the Wii has left as a coding base?

Obviously homebrew can go on forever but I prefer to write things that are going to be seen, homebrew exists as the average Joe is (was!) using it to play homebrew.
Re: Is overall development slowing down?
July 30, 2011 01:46PM
It is a bit late in the wii homebrewing lifecycle, I realised this even back in decmember but I like when everything is nice and stable. There seems to be a constant stream of stuff coming in for the DS/DSi. The NMax compo finished recently and the scenebeta competition is starting. If you look at the history [www.wiibrew.org] there are certainly less "people" doing stuff, This might be because there are more homebrew-able consoles now than there were 2 years ago. Added to that the wii scene may have just stablised/matured to the point where we already have everything we "need", lots of information can be found easily and in general its easier to homebrew now than it has ever been.

Or maybe people hiding on some other sites we do not know about. I started my own homebrew blog recently [newogame.posterous.com] [thatotherdev.com] is still doing his thing. [ezekielrage.wordpress.com] [www.eviltroopa.com] [nintendomax.com] [wiibrew.org]

They all maybe out having babies or something. lol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2011 02:10PM by owen.
July 31, 2011 12:53AM
I think coding in wii is going down dramatically.
Many great masters of programming for Wii are now programming for PS3.
Waninkoko or Hermes are two examples that I am saying.
this is one of the last holdouts who left where there are still people programming for Wii.
By other hand, will you present your jobs to the scenerybeta 2011?
July 31, 2011 01:41AM
I will probably do something new for scenery beta if I think of something before the end date. And also lots of homebrewers jumping to Android and Iphone development for the income benefits.
July 31, 2011 07:03AM
wilco2009
Many great masters of programming for Wii are now programming for PS3.
Waninkoko or Hermes are two examples that I am saying.
Your examples of "great masters" kinda suck. Hermes was a good coder but wasted his time with warez, Waninkoko was just rubbish at everything (and stole all his "achievements" from other people).

The homebrew scene hasn't slowed down at all, it's just that the new releases are actual homebrew instead of warez tools written by attention whores. 90% of people don't care about them because they only use their wiis to play pirated games. As evidence: about a month ago I posted a video of a game that people have been wanting ported to the wii for a long time, yet it's only received one comment and barely any views.
July 31, 2011 10:17AM
Leaving aside the target of their programs, to program a CIOS is not easy at all, bearing in mind that Hermes started when we did not know almost nothing about Wii.
I don't know exactly the history of Waninkoko and I can't give an opinion about him.

By other hand, I agree totally about people only want to play pirated programs. It is clear reading wii forums around the world.
Here you can find new developments, but most other sites only find programs imported from other sites and nothing developed locally. This programs reach only a few coments while hack tools threads have thousands of comments.
July 31, 2011 01:08PM
Didn't you read what teuidj said? He said Hermes was a skilled coder, but that his skills were wasted on warez. I see no reason to leave aside the target of a program. Can we say that the various dictators in history were good people, because what they did wasn't easy? No. Just because a task is difficult doesn't mean those that can perform it should be though of as great.
July 31, 2011 04:52PM
He didn't start "from nothing" either, all the info required to make your own cios (encryption, syscalls, binary format etc.) has been on wiibrew's wiki ever since marcan, segher, bushing, neimod and co. worked it all out.
If you're going to praise him, let it be for creating a great dsp library (libasnd) for a custom chip that has barely any documentation.
August 01, 2011 04:11PM
I do not know how we got here, but it was not my intention to discuss. I found it unexpected that the discussion was so heated.
My initial intention is to agree the first post of Titmouse. Wiibrew production is slowing down and in my opinion it is most evident in many other websites.

Perhaps my examples were not very lucky or my level of English has produced some misunderstanding.

Therefore I will leave the matter at this point.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2011 04:12PM by wilco2009.
August 04, 2011 09:55PM
Maybe all the games that can be quickly ported to the wii have already been done. Most genres are covered except for Role playing, Racing and online multiplayer shooting games ( but these may require too much work to complete).
August 05, 2011 02:01AM
owen
Maybe all the games that can be quickly ported to the wii have already been done. Most genres are covered except for Role playing, Racing and online multiplayer shooting games ( but these may require too much work to complete).

A lot are ported.

However lack of time is my problem. It's also frustrating dealing with the Wii, the GX system is ass-backwards and the processor is slow ( my opinion ). I have no plans to code the PS3, however if a softmod were ever released for the 360 I'd have a go homebrewing it. I also don't think I'll be picking up a Wii-U when they come out.

Having said all that I'll be maintaining my stuff when I get time.
August 05, 2011 02:10AM
I still have at least half a dozen ports I'd like to do, including one that hasn't been released on anything else...
August 05, 2011 02:31AM
@scanff yeah its pretty slow but not as slow as the DS lol. I find that it hates having loops in loops. [thatotherdev.com] just posted a game hes doing in ps3. I'm staying far from complicated multiprocess systems, I do have the time to learn all that jazz.

@tueidj cool, i'm looking forward to that one you posted in the video. never got a chance to finish that game.
August 05, 2011 07:15PM
@tueidj

I did noticed on one of your videos you were porting something myself and Arikado were working on. (Hint: retro 3D game .... " and I'm all outta gum"). We'd got it playable with a few glitches and bugs but never had the time to finish it up. PM me if you are interested in finishing this up with us or taking what you need from our SVN.

This would be a great HB release I just can't devote the time to it right now. It would be nice to finally see it on Wii.
August 05, 2011 10:25PM
Yeah I know, Arikado gave me a build of it nearly a year ago... the menus worked fine but it always crashed pretty much straight after a game started. I got tired of waiting for you guys to finish so I ported eduke32 myself :P Since it's based on SDL it runs perfect with an actual USB mouse + keyboard (that's what I used for the video), it's optimized enough to run at a constant 60fps, all I have left to do is all the fiddly joystick fix-up work so all the menus can be navigated... I hate doing that stuff so I might just post the source code as-is and let someone else do it.
August 06, 2011 12:18AM
tueidj
Yeah I know, Arikado gave me a build of it nearly a year ago... the menus worked fine but it always crashed pretty much straight after a game started. I got tired of waiting for you guys to finish so I ported eduke32 myself :P Since it's based on SDL it runs perfect with an actual USB mouse + keyboard (that's what I used for the video), it's optimized enough to run at a constant 60fps, all I have left to do is all the fiddly joystick fix-up work so all the menus can be navigated... I hate doing that stuff so I might just post the source code as-is and let someone else do it.

Did he give you the build with all the midi stuff working? I know what you mean about the controls ;/
August 06, 2011 12:39AM
I vaguely remember a timidity patchset being included in the download, can't recall if it was working though.

(Also, a warning for anyone using SDL-wii/libasnd/libaesnd: they all have reversed stereo channels. Fun, right?)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login