Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Wiibrew Wiki HackMii Blog

Advanced

I'm having trouble getting widescreen to work with libogc

Posted by TheCodingBrony 
I'm having trouble getting widescreen to work with libogc
March 31, 2014 02:24PM
I'm new to Wii homebrew programming and have been trying to get the hang of using devkitppc recently... No, I'm not some average newbie (despite my username sounding like one, just tryin' to be a lil' silly for fun :)) like what most new members are as I've been a hobbyist game programmer for 5 years and have also made some pretty impressive homebrew for the Sony PlayStation lately.

Anyway, I'm currently having trouble getting widescreen to work in my tiny GX test program because VIDEO_GetPreferredMode() doesn't seem to return the appropriate video mode parameters even though my Wii is set to run in Widescreen mode... Is it because libogc does not support it? Or do I have to do a fake 'anamorphic widescreen' trick which to me looks terrible because there is still a small boarder on the sides of the screen.

Any useful help will be gladly appreciated.
- TheCodingBrony
Re: I'm having trouble getting widescreen to work with libogc
March 31, 2014 06:22PM
VIDEO_GetPreferredMode() doesn't have anything to do with widescreen, it just selects the most appropriate video format (NTSC/PAL/PAL60).
Only anamorphic widescreen is supported by the wii since the internal/embedded framebuffer has a fixed maximum width of 640 pixels.
The overscan borders are controlled by the video encoder; they can be changed by adjusting the viWidth member of the GXRModeObj struct returned by VIDEO_GetPreferredMode() before passing it to VIDEO_Configure(). Maximum width is 720 pixels (before accounting for viXOrigin and any horizontal offset in the system settings) with larger widths having smaller black borders.
April 01, 2014 12:23AM
April 01, 2014 02:03AM
April 01, 2014 06:41AM
April 11, 2014 04:03AM
Just last week I realized that all I had to do is adjust the scaling factor of all my 2d images down to 85% when widescreen is active and solves the whole stretchy widescreen graphics problem in GRRLIB.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login