Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Messenger ??Possible??

Posted by Legend28469 
Wii Messenger ??Possible??
January 12, 2009 05:38PM
Hi everyone, I was just wondering, since one time I made an MSN messenger for my PC (remake actually)

would it be possible to make a wii messenger ... where you can communicate with instant messages between wii's and also be able to communicate with those on other clients.. such as yahoo messenger and windows live messenger...

if so.. can someone get me started on the libraries i should use... and maybe a recommendation on the interface... i was thinkin OpenGl... since windows api programming probably doesn't work on the wii.. and i don't know TOO much about wii programmin in C++...

Thank You in advance!!!
Re: Wii Messenger ??Possible??
January 12, 2009 09:05PM
that would require ssl stuff. so unless you could use /dev/net/ssl(or what ever it is) somehow or port a library, you could code that yea. It's out of my league, but it can be done

also, read about libogc on the forums and devkitPPc to get started on the wii aspect itself :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2009 09:06PM by Matando.
January 12, 2009 09:23PM
ok.. thanks
January 13, 2009 07:12AM
SSL is usually not a requirement for most protocols. But then, I do not know any message program protocols, besides IRC.
IRC is what we mostly use around Wiibrew anyway, so why not make an IRC client? It is easy when all the documentation is more or less public.
January 13, 2009 08:53AM
MSN Messenger Protocol Documentation
[www.hypothetic.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 08:55AM by whodares.
January 13, 2009 08:59AM
libpurple is somewhat portable; Using it would be an easy way to talk to virtually every IM protocol in use.

[developer.pidgin.im]
August 26, 2009 04:43AM
No news on the Wii Messenger? Any improvements? Any progress?
August 26, 2009 06:35AM
Wiiconnect
In development, but closest goals to the OP.
August 26, 2009 07:35PM
Hey PhoenixTank is WiiConnect able to communicate with devices that are not wii's (regular PC's/Macs)?

Are there any plans to support video conference?

Thx
August 26, 2009 11:02PM
i think wiiconnect is attempting this, the demo is up on the wiki, go try it, it is sweet
August 27, 2009 02:26AM
cagell
Hey PhoenixTank is WiiConnect able to communicate with devices that are not wii's (regular PC's/Macs)?

Thx
Erm, don't really know. I believe there are plans for other protocols but it is pretty much just email atm.
The wiki page should explain/outline the goals.
August 28, 2009 07:36PM
PhoenixTank
cagell

Thx
Erm, don't really know. I believe there are plans for other protocols but it is pretty much just email atm.
The wiki page should explain/outline the goals.

If it doesnt support msn etc. i dont think many people would use it
August 29, 2009 08:19PM
I totally agree, there is no point in doing instant messenger just restricted to Wii users, it would be awesome to interface the non-wii world!

cagell
August 30, 2009 07:19PM
cagell
I totally agree, there is no point in doing instant messenger just restricted to Wii users, it would be awesome to interface the non-wii world!

cagell
the world full of xbox and ps3 elitists that spit on us
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login