Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OgreWii : update jan.26th

Posted by tawi 
OgreWii : update jan.26th
January 20, 2009 03:55AM
The purpose of the project is to adapt the open source Ogre 3D (http://www.ogre3D.org) engine to the Wii.
Depending on the kind of coder you are, the interest could be :
- to prove we/you can
- to have one of the best open source graphic engine on a console. Ogre would be the first to my knowledge.
- to work on a game with no more hardware configurations problems as all Wii (i.e. hardware fixed machine like consoles) has the same hardware functions ;
- to easily apply to a video games studio. Showing your Wii demo at the interview will definitely help you ;
- to spread your game much more easily than on PC. The visibility of your game could be excellent with the "HomeBrewBrowser" : people download your game directly from their Wii with no need to transfer it with a SD card from PC to Wii and no need to install it with a keyboard, i.e. a PC is not needed anymore for the final consumer ;

Here are different open source 3d demos for Wii packed in a zip archive with executables, data and sources :
[www.megaupload.com]

Contents :
- libogc, fully legal and legally created open-source library for Wii ; the libogc/include/ogc/gx.h lists all the GX instructions of Wii graphics card.
[wiibrew.org]
- Wii GX basic tests : shadows & TEV demo
[www.elotrolado.net]

- QuakeWii : port of Quake for Wii :
[code.google.com]
- GL2GX : wrapper from GL instruction to Wii GX ones (here is a screenshot) :
[wiibrew.org]

Ogre is globally seperated by 2 main parts : the engine Main and the platform specific renderSystem.
Here are the state nowadays (jan.26th) :
1 OgreWiiMain engine : done at 50%.
- config file loading, file IO : done and tested
- FreeType support : compiled, linked, not checked ;
- FreeImage support : not compiled, not linked, not checked ;
- OIS support : not compiled, not linked ;
- Thread support : not supported, but not necessary at the moment ;
- OgreOptimisedUtil : to be implemented for the Wii (some PowePC asm code to do)
- OgrePlatformInformation : CPU spec to do ;

2 WiiRenderSystem : done at 20%
By renewing GL2GX lib, it should be possible to make as if there was a OpenGL Renderer.

Last time to enter the project.

Regards
tawi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 02:20AM by tawi.
Re: OgreWii
January 20, 2009 08:45AM
I dont want to try to get orge running on wii.
however if you want to use my code (which i am boring from libwiisprite) maybe it can help.
send me a pm.

although i didnt read your post, i did see the lib is 50% done?
my code is far from done.
January 20, 2009 03:39PM
@mavaka :
First, read the main post before replying.
Secondly, could you clearly reply :
- what have you done ?
- what do your code regarding 3d engine purpose ?
- what do you propose ?
Kind regards
January 23, 2009 02:12AM
i just realized how much of a bad idea this was since my lib is focus on 2d and orge is focus on 3d.
i could write tutorials of what i know but it looks like Fozzedout got that handled, his site is [www.shadowtavern.com]
December 17, 2009 02:20PM
Hi
Is anything new about this port?
I am looking forward to hear some news about it.
Re: OgreWii : update jan.26th
December 19, 2009 02:22AM
Year, do you still dev that port ? Orgre is very Object orianted and his abstraction from the render lib is helpfull. Do you plan to create an GX render like it exist with DirectX and OGL ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login