Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Got network working!!! But can't do fwrite :(

Posted by SteelSLasher 
Got network working!!! But can't do fwrite :(
January 24, 2009 02:23PM
I have had a good look at WiiEarth and have been able to extract the http and dns lib from it. I have set up an app which uses the http and dns lib from wiiearth to download [www.google.com].

The good thing is that i can download the file (well i think i can) but now i want to save the contents of the variable which contains something that is from google.com into a file. I have gotten as far as

fopen("fat://google.txt", "w"); //File not created so set to w to create new file

Now how would I do fwrite? This is obviously wrong:
fwrite(file, "fat://google.txt"); //file contains the content of google.com

I found that fwrite needs a minimum of two arguments (http://www.mathworks.com/support/tech-notes/1600/1602.html]source[/url])

but how do i do fwrite with a variable of struct block:
struct block file = downloadfile("http://www.google.com/");

If anything else is needed like purpose of app or entire source then just ask!

Thx in advance (Firefox users will love you if you help, well kind of).
Re: Got network working!!! But can't do fwrite :(
January 24, 2009 05:50PM
[www.cplusplus.com]

my advise would be to (really) learn C/C++ first before attempting to play with sourcecodes

btw, the link you found is for matlab programming language: this is not going to help you in any ways for Wii programming

finally, "http://www.google.com/" is a website link, it is not a file, I really don't know what you are trying to do but I don't need your sources to tell you are thinking things wrong

I thought I had to tell you ;-)
January 24, 2009 07:15PM
I have a http lib which can connect to the internet and DOWNLOAD data such as webpages when a function is given a url of the format
[http] [DOMAIN] PATH)

I know c to certain degree that I can make windows apps and thanks for pointing that matlab out but i am not at all familiar with "struct block" variables which is what i am stuck on. How would i get fwrite to work with "struct block" variables.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2009 07:16PM by SteelSLasher.
January 24, 2009 07:18PM
Could you provide a small code example (preferably the declaration) of a "struct block". I think you just mean a normal struct named block, but I'm not 100% sure. With a small code example, we would be able to better help you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2009 07:22PM by Arikado.
January 24, 2009 08:06PM
I just found out its a memory block and made a few changes according to the function.

Heres the network init and downloader (Important bit underlined):
	printf("Wii Browse Develepment Version 1\n");
	    printf("Waiting for network to initialize...");

s32 ip;
    while ((ip = net_init()) == -EAGAIN)
        {
                printf(".");
                usleep(100000);
        }
        printf("\n");

if(ip < 0) {
                printf("Error while initialising, error is %i\n", ip);
        }

char myIP[16];
    if (if_config(myIP, NULL, NULL, true) < 0) {
                printf("Error reading IP address, exiting");
                exit(0);
        }
        printf("Network initialised.\n");

printf("IP: %s\n\n", myIP);

printf("Let's Browse!");

usleep(1000 * 1000 * 1); //1 sec

printf("Attempting to download HTML file from [www.google.com]\n");
	struct block file = downloadfile("http://www.google.com/");
	printf("If domaind could not be resolved, connection ended :(\n Else the download completed successfully and youu should wait for me to do something new!\n");
	FILE * file_ptr;

file_ptr = fopen("fat://google.txt", "w");
	fwrite(file.data,1,sizeof(file.data), file_ptr);

Here is the end of the downloadfile() function:
	struct block file;
	file.data = malloc(filesize);
	file.size = filesize;

if(file.data == NULL)
	{
		printf("No more memory to copy file from HTTP response\n");
		free(response.data);
		return emptyblock;
	}

memcpy(file.data, filestart, filesize);

//Dispose of the original response
	free(response.data);

return file;
January 24, 2009 08:13PM
Did you call the fatInitDefault() before your file operations?
January 25, 2009 01:59AM
fatInitDefault() after including fat.h
if you cant get files working why dont you do a printf to see if it works.
Are you sure the code works with wii networking? because that great if it does :D (compiling and having it WORK is different)
January 25, 2009 11:12AM
the code i gave wasnt all of it, above fatinitdefault() and a few network inits are called, it seems to compile so i should have a look again today
January 25, 2009 12:38PM

file_ptr = fopen("fat://google.txt", "w");
fwrite(file.data,1,sizeof(file.data), file_ptr);

two things:

1/ file.data is a pointer so sizeof will not return the size of the data but the size of the pointer (4 bytes). You should rather use the filesize variable from the downloadfile() function

2/ I think that with the last libfat, you can't use fat: any more as prefix for files, you have to use usb: or sd:

tbc
January 25, 2009 01:10PM
OH GOD DAMN IT WORKS!!!

Thnx ekeeke and others for helping me with this, now onto making a html renderer or finding one made in C.
January 25, 2009 01:16PM
SteelSLasher: whats the app for? depending what you need you can do things in a very simple or very complex way.

html render? are you trying to write a browser? what do you need the 'html render' to do? i hope its just text and displaying jpgs + simple alignment (no br == fail)
January 25, 2009 05:20PM
mavakadachi
SteelSLasher: whats the app for? depending what you need you can do things in a very simple or very complex way.

html render? are you trying to write a browser? what do you need the 'html render' to do? i hope its just text and displaying jpgs + simple alignment (no br == fail)

That's right! I am going to start with simple one column rendering then eventually add stuff to it.

If you could recommend any methods which would be simple I would be grateful, I mean not having many of the php string functions natively in C really kicks you in the teeth when you try to EXPLODE! or IMPLODE! .

I was thinking that i start a loop that goes through each character of the webpage and each < it meets it will expect a word after it then a space and then... It shouldn't cause too many lazy code problems but I dont want to use regex

I have a javascript renderer for wii (SpiderMonkey in C) but no renderers were coded in C (that i know of) so homemade it is then
January 26, 2009 02:16AM
If you're trying to write a web browser then I'd suggest taking a look at the source for firefox or dooble. You may get some ideas for writing your parser. Or I found this the other day - [code.peterstuifzand.nl]

Would be nice to have a free browser for the Wii but after looking it would be a lot of work and really thinking about it even with an on screen keyboard it would be easier for me just to open up my laptop an browse.
January 26, 2009 02:47AM
Why do you want to write this?
p0rN 4 your WII? (lolz)

I cant see youtube working with this.
If you can get webpages i have an idea how to play youtube videos but last time i tried to compile mplayer i got errors (i didnt have the correct patches, this wasnt the current DKP)
January 26, 2009 12:11PM
Nice joke! I was thinking fo creating a system where different rules are set for certain websites, for YouTube I would extract the video from the url and display that using something (not sure yet).

There is also a GNU of Flash which may be good

BTW this is just an intermediate for creating some other game based tools (achievements, anti-FC etc.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2009 12:34PM by SteelSLasher.
January 28, 2009 05:33AM
This sounds like an interesting project. I would be interested to see the development of this project progress. It would be cool to have a Firefox equivalent for the Wii simply because I prefer Firefox to other browsers competing browsers. I wish you the best of luck.
January 30, 2009 07:45PM
Thanks, right now i have two choices: port antlr or use a C++ wrapper with Boost Spirit
January 31, 2009 08:10AM
port antlr !?! dont you generate c(++) code with antlr and just use it in your project?
Why do you need to use these? i thought you only needed to DL the html page+images and do a simple render on screen?
January 31, 2009 02:57PM
mavakadachi
port antlr !?! dont you generate c(++) code with antlr and just use it in your project?
Why do you need to use these? i thought you only needed to DL the html page+images and do a simple render on screen?

Really? I should look that up since ANTLR has no support for C++ and i thought it was a library?
February 02, 2009 02:21PM
SteelSLasher
mavakadachi

Really? I should look that up since ANTLR has no support for C++ and i thought it was a library?

NOTE: I havent done anything with it. From what i can tell its HARD to get it generating code for c++ and i couldnt get anything working with it. I havent tried hard tho.

Why are you going to port antlr again? theres no reason to generate a parser for a custom script?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login