DS emulator. Piracy?
April 01, 2009 10:34PM
This topic is a continuer of topic: "ADS".

I made this because the old topic started getting offtopic and talk about wheather a DS emulator is piracy or not.

My idea is: Just continue the DS piracy discussion from here!
Re: DS emulator. Piracy?
April 01, 2009 10:44PM
I don't think a DS emulator would make fewer people buy DS:s, because I would imagine that it is not actually not even close the same thing to play DS games on the wii.
April 01, 2009 11:07PM
Emulation = playing games on a console they weren't made for. That's cool and convenient to the end user.
Piracy = playing games on the console they were made for illegally.

I'll let the philosophies themselves show the fact that there is a major difference already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2009 11:07PM by Arikado.
April 02, 2009 05:16AM
Arikado
Emulation = playing games on a console they weren't made for. That's cool and convenient to the end user.

Shouldn't it be: Piracy = playing games without paying for them.

How you play it doesn't matter. The question is: Is a DS emulator primarely used for piracy?
April 02, 2009 05:23AM
daniel_c_w
Arikado

Shouldn't it be: Piracy = playing games without paying for them.

How you play it doesn't matter. The question is: Is a DS emulator primarely used for piracy?
Doesn't is have to be? unless you rip your own roms...almost all emulators are technically pirated.
April 02, 2009 05:34AM
Well with emulators the same rules apply to where you should own the original if you download a ROM
The same as legitimate backups
April 02, 2009 05:55AM
bg4545
Well with emulators the same rules apply to where you should own the original if you download a ROM
The same as legitimate backups
This is only true on one condition, the copyright laws (for all the systems that I know of)allow for copies for only you to play if you create them.
"Copyright law clearly states that the only copy of software you are entitled to is the one you make yourself."
April 02, 2009 06:40AM
ninjafish1990
Doesn't is have to be? unless you rip your own roms...almost all emulators are technically pirated.

I basicly agree with you. But the emulators themself are not piracy.
April 02, 2009 08:01AM
daniel_c_w
ninjafish1990

I basicly agree with you. But the emulators themself are not piracy.

I Agree and as a coder I'd feel darn right mad if someone classified my hard work as piracy. Everything in an emulator is done from painstakingly spending hours reading over a systems technical specs. Understanding how the soundchip, graphics and CPU work, then writing something to do the same thing in software.
April 02, 2009 07:17PM
Which goes along with what I said, you are entitled to 1 copy but you are required to make the copy, just because you own the game doesn't mean you can freely download it.
April 03, 2009 02:58AM
profetylen
This topic is a continuer of topic: "ADS".

I made this because the old topic started getting offtopic and talk about wheather a DS emulator is piracy or not.

My idea is: Just continue the DS piracy discussion from here!

i said the site was linked to piracy, ive already been chewed out for trying to help... and i found out it was the wrong matter, so i am being carfull not to promote it. emulators arent bad they are great, i still have a nes and snes, but i cant find anyone to fix them, so i have no problem with them.

i could be wrong with this but i think (i dont have one) the dsi has a different sd card than the dsi.
April 03, 2009 04:55AM
here is a question:

Should copied code (like banner code) be called piracy, or copyright infringement? For example, I think downloading games/movies/or music that can still be purcahsed piracy and is much more severe that using code from Nintendo for example. I KNOW is breaks copyright laws, but I feel no moral wrong.
April 03, 2009 05:06AM
My definition of piracy simply tried to differentiate the reason between why emulator devs develop vs how pirates pirate. But yes, the more accurate definition in this case would be: Piracy = taking possesion of or using digital content illegally.

Like I said in the original topic, I'm most interested in using the emulator for the better control options (possibly -- depends on the game really) and the larger screens.
April 03, 2009 06:01AM
#1 this
Definition of Piracy
#2 to get back on topic as far as general emus and such, thats still up in the air, I guess as far as Nintendo emus, thisCan I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?
April 03, 2009 06:15AM
ninjafish1990
#1 this
Definition of Piracy
#2 to get back on topic as far as general emus and such, thats still up in the air, I guess as far as Nintendo emus, thisCan I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

ok "backups" are very taboo..... there are no ifs, ands, or butts, of it....

but this site is very respecable, of not promoting it.
before i lose topic, it will alway have taboo, but i do wish nintendo has the balls to quit making a profit of "OLD' games....
nobody makes those games anymore, i know, but piracy is stealing ( let me borrow your game), so to speak, i dont mind creative, i mind... the only thing you need is your friend.

mr waninkoko,
he makes good programs for the wrong purpose, i cant say that he is wreckless, but i can say hes ***NOT*** watching his actions to prevent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2009 06:16AM by cl87.
April 03, 2009 07:13AM
All Game publishers are to blame. Their BS of justifying why a game costs $60. You really think if piracy stopped tomorrow they'd lower the price. I think not.

The reason why there's piracy is due to excessive pricing of video games. This is because the publishers waste millions of dollars on crappy game projects then bank on one or two big hits a year. I remember being a kid and purchasing video games for 10 quid (sorry no pound sign on my US keyboard), this was reasonable - even given inflation (I'm not that old!).

I don't agree with pirates or people who do it all the time. I don't do it, probably because I can afford to waste $60 on a crappy game.

And yes I was in gamestop the other day an was amazed that Nintendo have the balls to sell old gamecube games at Wii prices just because they added Wiimote support. The prices on the Wiishop channel are ridiculous I had to pay $5 for a NES game.

Well I could go on all night .. Enough ranting.
April 03, 2009 07:58AM
scanff
All Game publishers are to blame. Their BS of justifying why a game costs $60. You really think if piracy stopped tomorrow they'd lower the price. I think not.

Sorry, but that is BS.
I have never seen any publisher trying to justify the price of a game via piracy. That's like a myth the community made up.
Can you give me some examples?

Since the NES days: most games always cost about 50 bucks.

old gamecube games at Wii prices just because they added Wiimote support
AFAIK they cost half the usual price. (And Pikmin is definitly worth it)

And I am sorry, that you feel a NES is not worth 5 bucks.
April 03, 2009 08:27AM
Publishers are never going to go on record and say that's the reason why a game cost what it does. But this is a fact of the industry. I will just say I know from experience, sorry if that's not good enough for you. Secondly if you ripped out all the protection, DRM and hardware chips it takes to limit piracy it's pretty obvious to anyone that it reduces costs.

I complain about re-releasing GC games of the Wii simple because Nintendo should be focusing on bringing new quality titles to the Wii, 90% of releases are junk. As a gamer I simply feel ripped off, if it were not for homebrew I'd have ebay'd my Wii months ago. I basically use my Wii as a development platform, if I want to play a game I use my PC or XBOX.

Come on $5 is cheeky for a near 20 year old title and I don't even get anything physical to hold in my hand. Multiply $5 by the amount of time a 20 year old game keeps my interest and that's a lot of money.
April 03, 2009 08:47AM
scanff
But this is a fact of the industry.

Are you part of that industry?
scanff
Secondly if you ripped out all the protection, DRM and hardware chips it takes to limit piracy it's pretty obvious to anyone that it reduces costs.
(and how much would that be)
One could argue, that on the other hand that would increase the losses of the industry.
It is a fine balance I think.
But as an outsider I actually have no way to tell. I can just try to make a good geuss.

scanff
90% of releases are junk
99% of that junk is not from Nintendo.

scanff
Multiply $5 by the amount of time a 20 year old game keeps my interest and that's a lot of money.
Depends on the game.
And the same can be said for new games.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2009 08:47AM by daniel_c_w.
April 08, 2009 12:55AM
My opinion: Emulation is not piracy, for you can play games you already own on it without even touching illegal content. You can dump your own BIOS to play games anyway. So technically, if you use it all from your already owned hardware/software its all legal. Some i believe don't even require a BIOS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login