Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sending in Wii--Dangerous?

Posted by seek 
Sending in Wii--Dangerous?
June 27, 2009 04:54PM
So, my Wii is still bricked with corrupted system memory, apparently a disc with 4.0 isn't enough to fix the problem. I think I'll have to just send it in (for $85...). I was wondering if it would be safe to do so, as I have homebrew channel on it. Particularly, is there any kind of history in the Wii memory that would let the technicians know about homwbrew? I'm taking the SD card out before I send it in, will that be good enough?
Re: Sending in Wii--Dangerous?
June 27, 2009 05:22PM
As long as you don't have any signs of piracy or illegal activity on your Wii (for example a WAD with an illegal banner installed or ROMs) you should be fine. I'd be surprised if there was anything Nintendo could legally do to punish you for just having the homebrew channel installed (besides uninstalling it and making you pay a little more of course :P).
June 27, 2009 05:34PM
So, if I keep my SD card I should be fine then? I haven't messed with WADs or anything, but I do have Snex9x on my SD card. But if I kept it with me, could they find out about it?
June 27, 2009 06:05PM
Nope, they shouldn't be able to figure out anything beyond just that you had the homebrew channel installed. Chances are, they won't even care.

But for the benefit of other Wii Homebrewers, I'd appreciate if you'd keep us updated on the status of your system after you send it in.
June 27, 2009 06:17PM
Well, according to HackMii, they charge way more if you have HBC installed. Like the price of a new Wii for what should be a cheap repair.
June 27, 2009 06:58PM
^ I think that was just an isolated case, and IIRC, that was in Europe right? Maybe it'll be different in the States? I'll see what happens and definitely update on what happens.
June 27, 2009 07:12PM
SifJar
Well, according to HackMii, they charge way more if you have HBC installed. Like the price of a new Wii for what should be a cheap repair.

That is tsill a rumor, and the rumor is about Nintendo of Europe, not the US.
June 27, 2009 08:03PM
Ah, well I'm in Europe, not US so that's why I paid attention. Seek never stated he was from US.
June 27, 2009 08:44PM
Well I appreciate the warning either way. I'll report back on whatever happens.
June 30, 2009 03:53AM
SifJar
Seek never stated he was from US.

I assumed he is from the US, because he used the dollar sign. :D

(but of course there are other countries in the world that have a "Dollar")
June 30, 2009 05:20AM
daniel_c_w
SifJar
Seek never stated he was from US.

I assumed he is from the US, because he used the dollar sign. :D

(but of course there are other countries in the world that have a "Dollar")
crap i didn't know that! Ah well maybe i'm just a stupid American, ja? I'd think ninty would have a MS style warranty for 'general hardware failure'. more like 'we fail at making stuff so we'll fix it for free'. o yea, ninty is making $$$ so why charge us?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 05:24AM by z400100500.
June 30, 2009 06:48AM
@z400100500
Why are you quoting me? I do not see any connection.

Doesn't Nintendo have a one-year warranty, worldwide?
June 30, 2009 01:16PM
I think he means he didn't know other countries used dollars, which does kind make him a stupid American :p. Anyway, I didn't notice the dollar sign in his first post, my bad.

But about the warranty, technically, HBC is an unauthorized modification, which voids the warranty. Dunno how much Nintendo cares though, I've only heard of one isolated case where the person was charged extra for having HBC
July 01, 2009 02:59AM
My friend sent his in, with 3.3 on it, but he removed HBC due to paranoia, and they didnt say anything, or update it, and it was free (it was for the brawl fix).
July 02, 2009 03:41PM
As I mentioned recently in a post under the Fixmii forum I had concerns about NOA's possible policies about softmods. Today I had my curiousities confirmed. At last minute before sending my system in for repair I chose to just remove the visible signs instead of the internal signs for my own test. So I got a call today about my repair. I was anxious to see what they would say. My original system was deemed unrepairable by their standards. It also failed a test check. Whatever was causing the GPU artifacting they chose not to fix. I was also told that 2 illegal channels were found. I assume the channels were the Hidden Channels DVDx that allows DVD playback and the HAXX that's installed allows Homebrew Channel??? Should've straight up uninstalled them directly and or used the AnyTitleDeleter to erase the remaining tickets. Hmm. Nothing else was mentioned. I was trying to get a better understanding of what the representative was telling me. They may not just replace individual components of that nature or it may have involved more. I didn't want to go into a lot of detail dragging it out making an argument about how bad I wanted my original system back, how they should be able to repair it and ruin a good thing. *L* So it's confirmed that NOA does have ways of checking for hacks. No mention of extra fines etc. I had the option of keeping my original system or having it replaced. I chose the better of having it replaced. *L* :( Kinda sad my original system will be gone now, but I'll have a Wii still and hopefully it won't be too far from the serial number my previous system had.

The customer service representatives were top notch like always. I always give them a thumbs up.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2009 08:41PM by LeftToSigh.
July 02, 2009 04:55PM
LeftToSigh
The customer service representatives were top notch like always. I always give them a thumbs up.

Yeah, from my one and only dealing with them, they were okay. But the dude that answered had an accent. =p I needed some help because when I synced the remotes, somehow they both ended up as Player 1. THAT was interesting.

@SifJar

Uh I was joking. I'm not a stupid American! (OK, I may make fun of myself) I'm over here drooling over an LHC (No it won't turn into a black hole) article! Yum!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2009 04:56PM by z400100500.
July 02, 2009 05:23PM
yeah, note the :p which sort of shows I was joking too.
July 02, 2009 07:01PM
Oh yeah, I failed to mention I left Bootmii as boot 2 on my previous console when I sent it in. Anyway...Yes! The Wii I'm getting back is a serial # LU51, it has a fresh warranty and was shipped out today. The one sent in for repairs serial began with LU52 , would've been 2 years old this month and it will be missed. Hope my playstats etc. were transferred over though not much of a big deal since on my own I managed to extract the few saves for game files that couldn't be moved or copied. If a case were to arise with this new system having to be sent in I won't take that chance again seding it in with any trace of soft-mods.
July 07, 2009 09:04PM
Well, got my system back today. Repair was really quick and went without a problem. The only thing is that they couldn't save my data (nooooooo!!!) but other than that the Wii is working fine. All my channels are gone (including HB), but having the HB channel installed was never a problem. So, sweet!
July 10, 2009 08:27AM
I got my replacement system back yesterday and it came updated to 4.0U. I installed bootmii as boot 2. All my game data and playstats were transferred. Right now I can't play my imports, backups, can't seem to downgrade my IOS's etc. or install wads to allow the play of these disc. Certain applications just reboot the system when I launch them. I also noticed that this Wii had 6 bad blocks while my previous Wii only had 1 when backing up the nand. It's driving me nuts trying to figure out what's going on when before it was so easy to softmod it. I don't have money for a mod chip and I really want to play my imports. Would it be possibly for Nintendo to take time out and send each consumer a replacement Wii that can only be soft-modded so far??? I'm reading up in so many guides and nothing seems to be working...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login