Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I know what I have?

Posted by Jchapman6689 
How do I know what I have?
July 13, 2009 05:54PM
I have version 4.0U

Is that Jap, NTSC, or Pal?

Is there a way I can change it to pal if i dont have it?
Re: How do I know what I have?
July 13, 2009 06:13PM
Jap - Japan
PAL - Europe
NTSC - USA

Note: Jap is actually also NTSC, but it is different to NTSC/USA, they are not cross-compatible.

And there is no way to switch if you're on 4.0. At least, none that is supported here. If you were on a lower firmware it'd be possible. But if you want to know for games, Gecko OS can load games of any region on any region.

And the letter after the firmware tells you the region as follows:
U = USA
J = Japan
E = Europe
July 13, 2009 07:49PM
SifJar
Note: Jap is actually also NTSC, but it is different to NTSC/USA, they are not cross-compatible.
Both NTSC (N and J) variants are compatible to each other, at least picture wise. The major differnce is the level of black. NTSC-J should look a little bit to bright on U.S. televisions.

The reason why Japanese games do not run on US systems or vice versa is only region locking

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2009 07:49PM by daniel_c_w.
July 13, 2009 07:55PM
daniel_c_w
The reason why Japanese games do not run on US systems or vice versa is only region locking

Thats when Gecko OS comes into the situation!! :D

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2009 07:55PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
July 13, 2009 08:44PM
Yeah, I meant region locking. I decided not to go into detail of how these are video ouputs, but basically - PAL and NTSC are video output types. These days PAL TVs can generally display NTSC signals, and I think vice versa, but NTSC is used in Japan and USA, as NTSC-J and NTSC-U and PAL is used in Europe. The games are also region locked to one of the three regions, and will output signal in same region. Gecko OS can get around region lock, and I believe may be able to change signal type as well.
July 13, 2009 08:47PM
SifJar
and I believe may be able to change signal type as well.
Yeppers. :)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login