Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

System Menu 4.2

Posted by flyguy 
Re: System Menu 4.2
August 15, 2009 03:27PM
Regarding exploits in general:
An exploit is something that allows us to run unsigned code on the Wii. The hackmii installer is not an exploit. The twilight hack, bannerbomb, and smash stack are exploits.

Regarding comex's NOTDVDX:
All it did was download DVDX from hackmii and install it via a different IOS than the official DVDX. Twiizers would later release DVDX3.4 which basically did the same thing.

Regarding Twiizers new method to install fakesigned content:
It's extremely simple pure genius only Twiizers could come up with. As long as the Wii has at least one IOS, the method isn't going anywhere. However, it can not be applied to boot1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2009 03:28PM by Arikado.
August 15, 2009 05:24PM
Thanks Arikado... Hmmm, I always thought NotDVDX used some different exploit, because of that IOS35 downgrade feature...

Arikado
Regarding Twiizers new method to install fakesigned content:
It's extremely simple pure genius only Twiizers could come up with. As long as the Wii has at least one IOS, the method isn't going anywhere. However, it can not be applied to boot1.

Wow O_O
Is that incredible? =D
August 15, 2009 05:35PM
DanielHueho
Thanks Arikado... Hmmm, I always thought NotDVDX used some different exploit, because of that IOS35 downgrade feature...
That's because it uses IOS35.
August 16, 2009 04:45PM
Arikado: Is NOTDVDX the exploit used in CMDVDX34 to downgrade IOS35, or is that something else? I'm confused. Oh and regarding Twiizers new method of installing fakesigned content - do you know exactly how it works? How did you find out? And am I right in assuming that twiizers wont release the exploit publicly, because it would make piracy much easier? And from what you said is unpatchable by Nintendo?
August 16, 2009 05:12PM
NOTDVDX just installs DVDX via IOS35. That's it. There is no "exploit". Just a simple install using a different IOS than the one used by the (now outdated) HBC installer.

CMDVDX lets you downgrade IOS35 so that the NOTDVDX install method will work if necessary.

The Twiizers exploit is really very simple. It can use any IOS to install fakesigned content. I know exactly how it works but I'm not at liberty to talk about it as any pirate coder could create an app that uses this new install method. Nintendo should not ever be able to be patch it unless they completely rewrite how IOS works.
August 16, 2009 05:16PM
Arikado
Nintendo should not ever be able to be patch it unless they completely rewrite how IOS works.

Which we know will probably never happen since Twiizers is smart and wont release it.
August 16, 2009 05:20PM
TopGun96
Arikado
Nintendo should not ever be able to be patch it unless they completely rewrite how IOS works.

Which we know will probably never happen since Twiizers is smart and wont release it.
And also becuase it would be impossible for them to change the commonkey this late in the game ;-)
August 16, 2009 05:22PM
So how does CMDVDX downgrade IOS35, and why haven't Nintendo patched that in 4.0/4.1?
August 16, 2009 05:25PM
SifJar
So how does CMDVDX downgrade IOS35, and why haven't Nintendo patched that in 4.0/4.1?
It deletes IOS35 and then downloads and installs an older version of it from Nintendo's servers.

For some reason, IOS35 is the only IOS you can safely do this with without bricking your Wii. (Other IOSs have to be written over with versions with higher version numbers)

As to why they haven't patched it yet, your guess is as good as mine. (Let's not forget it took them almost 6 months to add a dummy IOS 16)
August 16, 2009 05:27PM
Nintendo seems to be very slow on patching exploits..... and in general
August 16, 2009 06:56PM
So you can delete IOS 35 without any exploit like trucha or ES_identify? Can you do that to any IOS? I know with others you could brick, but is it theoretically possible?
August 16, 2009 07:08PM
Yes, theoretically, it is possible.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login