Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quick Question about .rar files

Posted by ICEing 
Quick Question about .rar files
September 28, 2009 10:48PM
Frequently I download a homebrew application and it comes up as a .rar file. What do I do with these?... rename the extension?

Like for example...Mega Code Downloader is a .rar file...what do I do with it? Sorry for the really n00bish question

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2009 11:02PM by ICEing.
Re: Quick Question about .rar files
September 28, 2009 11:12PM
google winrar, all your problems wil be solved
basically rar is a way of compressing files/sharing a whole folder in one file
September 28, 2009 11:22PM
Alii
google winrar, all your problems wil be solved
basically rar is a way of compressing files/sharing a whole folder in one file

So I need to buy I program to decompress them before it can be used?
September 29, 2009 12:06AM
A .rar is just another form of compression (like a .zip)

Most decompressors can open them

WinRar, 7Zip, and Winzip are all tools that will work. 7Zip is free.
September 29, 2009 12:54AM
I use 7-zip, and it works great. I suggest getting that, because (as Arikado stated), its free. Then you just unzip it.
September 29, 2009 01:17AM
I recommend WinRAR, but it is a trial, but I have used the 30-day trial for 6 years, after the trial is up it has never asked me to pay...
September 29, 2009 01:22AM
ninjafish1990
I recommend WinRAR, but it is a trial, but I have used the 30-day trial for 6 years, after the trial is up it has never asked me to pay...

Yes you just get annoying pop-ups after the trial.
September 29, 2009 02:03AM
ninjafish1990
lol, thats hilarious! Usually it doesn't keep letting you use it...haha
September 29, 2009 05:05AM
WaxyPumpkin72
ninjafish1990
lol, thats hilarious! Usually it doesn't keep letting you use it...haha
instead of pressing yes/no just x-out of the pop-up box and it stays a 30day trial.
If you dont and it goes through it will let you keep using it though.
September 29, 2009 05:27AM
Yeah, there's a program I use to look at powertabs (its a guitar tab reader), and when the thirty day trial was up, I tried to exit out and it froze my computer. haha
I had to restart it, and that happens every time I try to launch it.
September 29, 2009 06:58PM
uh, ninjafish, that's borderline piracy. i'd advise switched to 7zip, its just as good (if not better) and is actually free. Or tugzip. Another good free unzipper with support for loads of archive format. but 7zip is the best.
September 29, 2009 08:14PM
7zip is apparently one of the best compressors out there. however, it is highly used by Linux so it might be a communist plot...
September 29, 2009 08:33PM
metroid_maniac
7zip is apparently one of the best compressors out there. however, it is highly used by Linux so it might be a communist plot...

Um, what? What's Linux got to do with communism?
September 29, 2009 10:46PM
metroid_maniac

lol if that was a joke, roflol if not.
September 30, 2009 04:17AM
SifJar
uh, ninjafish, that's borderline piracy. i'd advise switched to 7zip, its just as good (if not better) and is actually free. Or tugzip. Another good free unzipper with support for loads of archive format. but 7zip is the best.
It is not piracy, it is a trial that just has an annoying pop up, on of those "buy this to remove this pop up!" ads. No where near piracy.
September 30, 2009 04:17AM
ninjafish1990
SifJar
It is not piracy, it is a trial that just has an annoying pop up, on of those "buy this to remove this pop up!" ads. No where near piracy.
I agree. How is that supposed to be piracy?
September 30, 2009 08:28PM
Using something you're supposed to pay for, but for free? thats piracy. Using a free trial - fine. Using a 30 day free trial indefinetly? Whats the difference between that and illegaly downloading the full version? To me thats piracy. If you dont think so, thats fine, you obviously have a stronger conscience than me.
September 30, 2009 08:40PM
SifJar
Using something you're supposed to pay for, but for free? thats piracy. Using a free trial - fine. Using a 30 day free trial indefinetly? Whats the difference between that and illegaly downloading the full version? To me thats piracy. If you dont think so, thats fine, you obviously have a stronger conscience than me.
Lol, I doubt I have a stronger conscience than you. I just disagree. :P
September 30, 2009 08:53PM
October 01, 2009 10:16PM
^shut the hell up

and two, 7zip has trouble opening some rar files for an unknown reason
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.