Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Briefly tried HBC now Hardware issues... Help :(

Posted by elmoreas 
Briefly tried HBC now Hardware issues... Help :(
November 02, 2009 05:35PM
I briefly installed HBC with bannerbomb abd6a_v200.zip using hackmii's HackMii Installer v0.6 on a v4.2 system the apps I tried were Dragon Media Player, Mega Code Downloader, Save Game Manager, Gecko OS, and Cheatmanager. I got it all installed but could not figure out how to work the cheat codes, so I deleted it all and put back in my normal SD card. Now 2 days later when the Wii boots up from off, but not standby, it makes a grinding noise. I cannot tell if it is the HDD or the Fan I have on the back. Is this related like I got a nuke bug/virus or something or is it coincidence? Also what can I do to fix the issue, or where can I get the issue fixed? So far gameplay not affected as it stops after bootup, but I am deeply worried. Help please?!? Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
elmoreas
Re: Briefly tried HBC now Hardware issues... Help :(
November 03, 2009 02:43AM
First of all, homebrew did not cause this.

Secondly, it's a hardware issue but it's impossible to pinpoint exactly what it is based the information you've supplied.
November 03, 2009 06:52AM
Ok, well its good to know that HBC did not cause this and that its not a malicious code from an app or anything. Makes me feel better about using hbc on my second wii that doesn't have so many points dumped into it. I bought an extended warranty when I got it and it is still covered so I can take it back if worst comes to worst. So far it has only done it while turning on from off but not standby and I keep it in standby so its not really an issue but if it gets worse after the warranty runs out in 3 months then I am in trouble. I am not sure what else to say other than it makes a grinding/whiring noise when turning on from off mode. It sounds like the disc drive is rubbing against something but there are no noticable vibrations that I can feel from the outside of the unit. I have determined it is not the cooling fan I have on the back as it is fine. My gut instinct tells me that either the disc drive or hard drive are the culprit. By the way it happens regardless of whether or not there is a disc in or not, and it lasts for about 7-10 seconds. The unit has never been opened or physically modded. Heat should not be an issue as I have a cooling stand and rear cooling fan. It is on a surge protector with 90 minute battery backup and to my knowledge the house has never been even close to a lighting strike. I really don't know what else to say. If you tell me what info you need to make a diagnosis and opinion on what to do, I will do my best to supply it. Thanks for your help. Sorry for posting in the wrong section, I guess I misunderstood the section placement.

Sincerely,
elmoreas
November 03, 2009 02:49PM
It's most likely your disk drive. Try getting a disk cleaner from Gamestop. (Or any other video game store.) The lens may be dirty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2009 02:50PM by gameboy13.
November 03, 2009 06:30PM
I've had my Wii about a year and a half and my DVD drive makes similar noises, I really don't play that many retail games on the Wii. So I put it down to being poor quality hardware. As Arikado said there's no possible way homebrew downloaded from Wiibrew.org could have causes this.

Let us know if a simple DVD lens cleaner works, I'll have to pick one up and see if it's the issue with my drive.
November 04, 2009 01:31AM
my wii is almost 2 and a half years old, my wii drive was making sound and not reading disc so i bought a nintendo wii drive cleaner(it cost ten dollars) and it started readind discs again and it stopped making alot of sounds
November 04, 2009 09:14AM
Disc cleaner bought and tried but it is still doing it half the time now so it must be the disc drive. Perhaps it needs cleaned a second time. Anyways thank you all for your help.

Sincerely,
elmoreas
November 07, 2009 10:15PM
As a heads up... fairly early on with my UK launch Wii, my disc drive made grinding noises. Then the noises stopped (out of nowhere) and for quite a while, all was good.
Last month, my Wii stopped reading dual layer DVD games (in the middle of a brawl, no less), and then a week or two later refused to play any disc games.
I'm now waiting to find out whether I'll get slapped with a repair bill for £65.50, £27.40 or £0.
I'd say it is an early warning sign that the drive you have is crap, and if possible, you should get the damn thing replaced while still in warranty.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login